Desire Seems Half Locked..?!

Last Updated:

1. Mysterical

Mysterical New Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 17, 2010

firstly i would like to apologise if this has been asked before, but i have indeed tried many things in the forums and nothing is working..

i have just purchased a telstra branded HTC desire [outright] 2 days ago from JB HIFI, the salesman said its unlocked and i assumed its all good.

I can definately send/recieve calls and sms, BUT i cannot connect to the net for browsing unless im at home in my wifi area... i dont get it.. its like the device is a half locked phone, calls/sms -ok, internet-no only to telstra >> :confused:

i have a vodafone [prepaid sim] and i was able to browse and recieve emails and so on with my nokia e63 on prepaid with no issue whatsoever. This is my first android phone and im feeling a little lost/stumped with it and taken advantage of with half truths from the salesman at JB HIFI. Im sure they would know about this, i did make it clear and stress out it is a non telstra sim and that its prepaid.

if anyone can kindly assist me with a post or email, with a brief step by step instruction on how you got it working i would really appreciate it. this is indeed all new to me.

thankyou kindly

2. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Sounds to me like you need to set up the mobile data and MMS APN's for your network as it may have the telstra settings. Usually you can call customer services and they will send you a text with the correct settings but otherwise they should be able to advise you.
  3. ThreeDog

ThreeDog Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    pretty much as nacatomi said, you need to contact vodafone and ask for the MMS settings for the phone.