Desire stock ROM

Last Updated:

1. UnitedWeFall

UnitedWeFall Member

Hey all,

I got myself an HTC Desire a few days ago. It is the Telstra Australia version and comes with quite a lot of useless apps and web links which have been added by the provider and clutter up the programs menu.

Is there any way to load the stock Desire ROM onto the phone? I assume it will require rooting.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. UnitedWeFall

UnitedWeFall Member

Thanks for the link.

Does this process have any risks? And do you know if it would void the warranty? And if it does, is it reversible?

3. UnitedWeFall

UnitedWeFall Member

I just created my GoldCard, but as I was about to do the next step I realised the guide is for 1.15.405.4, whereas I have 1.16.841.1.

Will it still work?

4. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member

It will work with any branded ROM, I'm on Orange UK so wasn't on the one specified either.

In theory it will void your warranty, so you would need to reload your operator ROM prior to service, that is if its available... mine isn't, but there is a thread at the same site with a number of ROM's on...
  5. mrgsmith77

mrgsmith77 Active Member

hey Casper, thanks for the link, (sorry for highjacking Unitedwefall) I'm on Orange Uk aswell and was looking to load the stock ROM to get rid of Orange's rubbish preloaded apps and stuff, does it do anything else?
  6. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member

Naa, just whacks the generic ROM on it... Removes all the Orange crap and makes it like a sim free Desire.
  7. mrgsmith77

mrgsmith77 Active Member

8. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Daft question, but apart from a T-Mobile logo at start-up, I really don't see that I have any T-Mobile rubbish on my Desire. What will I gain/lose by doing this? More to the point though, *if* I do this, will it mean I am likely to get 2.2 sooner?
  9. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member

Not sure what T-Mobile have done on the customization side of things, but Orange have done loads..

Earlier upgrades, whether that's 2.1 or 2.2, are definitely a benefit...
  10. UnitedWeFall

UnitedWeFall Member

Thanks for the info Caspa :)
  11. UnitedWeFall

UnitedWeFall Member

Hmm after doing a bit of reading i'm not really sure I want to root or flash the phone. There seems to be a lot of people who have bricked their Desire's.

Is there no other way to delete stock apps?
  12. divaboy

divaboy Member

haven't got my hands on a desire yet, but it does seem to be a little hit and miss with the flashing maybe worth waiting a little longer and see how things pan out
  13. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Just to let you know - I re-flashed my Desire last night. Took half an hour in total with making a GoldCard, etc, but process was pretty simple and straight-forward.

Now have a generic, unbranded Desire running the latest 2.1 firmware. Hopefully I'll get the 2.2 update before T-Mobile have to mess it up.
  14. UnitedWeFall

UnitedWeFall Member

edit, never mind. Sorted :_
  15. ChunkyPirate

ChunkyPirate New Member

Hello. Yup, it does. It'll include the Google Talk app that Orange removed from their install (Probably because they want to force you to use their messenger app.)

Done mine a while ago and have no issues, apart from recently updating the radio version which meant I had to purchase a sim unlock code (about