• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire stuck in boot loop (unrooted) - please help

Pinmac1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2011
UK
I have been having trouble with Maps in that when I try to open it it force closes. Also a few other strange happenings over the last couple of days (unable to ring certain phone numbers, force closing internet applications). So I thought that I would turn off and start from scratch. As soon as I entered my pin code it rebooted again and now all that happens is that I get the HTC logo, followed by the Virgin logo and then it reboots and back up comes the HTC logo and round and round it goes. I assume that this is what is meant by a boot loop?

It's an unrooted phone from Virgin with 27Mb of memory left. I'd really prefer not to have to factory reset if possible as it'll be a pain to reinstall everything but am desperate to get it back up and running as I feel lost without it it.

Any help very gratefully received.

Strange. Try holding vol. down when you turn it on. I'm curious as to what will happen...

I Think I'm correct is saying that you would be lucky to factory reset it. Sorry.

I don't want to be defeatist, but it looks like something you will have to take to Virgin.

:-(

Nah this is real fixable I think, download this and come and post over in the all things root section, where's there's more technical help available.

Reactions: Pinmac1
Upvote 0
Thanks all for the replies. Lob, I have tried starting with the volume button pressed and I get the tiny writing with various options. I haven't tried resetting it to factory settings yet as I was hoping to find an alternative. Hadron, I have tried with no SIM card but it still continuously reboots.
Ironically, InfernalByte, I have always avoided rooting as I didn't want to "brick" my phone. Looks like I might have managed it anyway!
Looks like I'm going to have to get on to Virgin to see about a repair :mad:.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the replies. Lob, I have tried starting with the volume button pressed and I get the tiny writing with various options. I haven't tried resetting it to factory settings yet as I was hoping to find an alternative. Hadron, I have tried with no SIM card but it still continuously reboots.
Ironically, InfernalByte, I have always avoided rooting as I didn't want to "brick" my phone. Looks like I might have managed it anyway!
Looks like I'm going to have to get on to Virgin to see about a repair :mad:.

I'm not sure but you may be able to run the RUU without rooting, which is why I suggested you ask at all things root.

Reactions: Pinmac1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones