• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire switching of while browsing

johnloughray

Apr 20, 2010
Hi when i'm browsing using the phones mobile data connection the phone switches it's self of and will keep switching on and off till i remove the battery for several seconds.
Anybody had this problem.

Also because of this problem i went to back up my data but can't find the privacy tab in settings.

Hello john.

Random shutdowns can come about when apps/widgets/services are not playing nice with one another.

There are a couple of ways to set things straight, one very tedious and one quite easy and quick but still a bit of a hassle.

Remove all apps not stock, reboot the device and watch for any random shutdowns. If none occur, one at a time re-install your 3rd party apps. You'd have to spend some time making sure as you go along that the last re-installed app or widget is ok with the previous ones, etc. Once the problem comes up again, you'll probably be able to identify which apps/widgets did it.

The other remedy is a factory data reset. Here is a hard reset instruction page for the Desire:

How to hard reset the HTC Desire - Know Your Cell

Upvote 0
Hello john.

Random shutdowns can come about when apps/widgets/services are not playing nice with one another.

There are a couple of ways to set things straight, one very tedious and one quite easy and quick but still a bit of a hassle.

Remove all apps not stock, reboot the device and watch for any random shutdowns. If none occur, one at a time re-install your 3rd party apps. You'd have to spend some time making sure as you go along that the last re-installed app or widget is ok with the previous ones, etc. Once the problem comes up again, you'll probably be able to identify which apps/widgets did it.

The other remedy is a factory data reset. Here is a hard reset instruction page for the Desire:

How to hard reset the HTC Desire - Know Your Cell

Decided to go for the factory reset last night. Everything started reloading fine while on the wifi connection. Once i'd got a couple of the basic apps i use back on, i turned off wifi and turned the data connection on, the phone switched of within minuets. It is now frozen on the white HTC opening screen.

Ah well looks like it's off to the vodafone shop for me today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones