Desire via pcSupport

Last Updated:

1. stretchmo

stretchmo New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 9, 2010

I've just got my htc desire today and I'm trying to sync it with my pc.

What settings do I have to use to install widgets,pictures,music??

I've went to Settings>Connect to PC>Default Connection type.

I choose USB Tethering? It's looking for a software disc?:confused:

Sorry for being thick I'm new to this android phone lark. Any help appreciated.

Oh and thanks for having me.:)

2. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010

Ok, when connecting to a PC you have a number of options -

Charge only - pretty self explanatory; charges the device. It also leaves the SD card mounted on the device so you can continue accessing files. It's worth noting however that all the modes listed will still charge the device while it's plugged in.
    Disk Drive - mounts the device like a USB hard drive/memory stick. Allows access to SD card.
    HTC Sync - Looks for HTC Software on the PC to allow syncing of contacts/calendars
    USB Tethering - Shares your phones internet connection with your PC.

To hook it up with HTC Sync, you first have to have it installed, which I assume you do. If not you can get a download from HTC's website.

Launch HTC Sync, plug in your device and select the HTC Sync option on the device.

Follow any on screen instructions.

Now in terms of actually getting content like pics/music on there I think the new HTC Sync 3.0 has iTunes sync for music and you can just drop any pics onto the SD card using Disk Drive mode. Widgets need to be installed from the market just like applications, or by finding .apk files on the web, dropping them onto your SD card and installing them using something like Astro (not normally recommended for inexperienced users!)

Hope this helps!