Desire Vs Hero

Last Updated:

1. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

Before I start, please disregard my sig. I'm not here for that.

I had a Hero a while back, and I'm thinking of getting a Desire to play around with.
    My questions are:

Do you think the snapdragon will protect the desire from the same fate that the hero suffered?
    Aside from the speed increase, what are the REAL LIFE differences?
    I'm reading about keyboard troubles here and there - is it any better than the Hero's?
    Is it really THAT much better than the Nexus?

cheers all!

Advertisement
  2. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Having moved from a Hero to Desire a few months ago:
    1. Not sure - depends what lessons HTC learned from the Hero upgrade debacle as there will always be a next new thing. However, the Snapdragon does lend the phone a modicum of future proofing as far as such a thing is possible in the mobile market.
    2. First, don't underestimate the speed increase. I found the difference between Hero and Desire amazing - no sluggishness whatsoever. Not to mention 2.1 of course, and even then the ability to run processor intense apps like Earth and Flash when it arrives. Also the (larger) AMOLED screen has to be seen to be believed - you'll never look at the colour orange the same again. Internet access also seems a bit faster, although don't know if I'm imagining this as never compared.
    3. No problems whatsoever here - identical to the Hero from my experience.
    4. Dunno - never used the Nexus.

In summary since moving from the Hero to the Desire I haven't looked back. It just responds so much better.

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

+1

4. dirks

dirks Active Member

I have been very happy with my (chinny) HTC Hero for 7 months - until my wife got her HTC Desire. I ordered mine an hour after touching her Desire.

The Desire is much quicker than the Hero. The battery life is similar. My Desire has two problems:
    - Shutting down takes very long (but can be worked around)
    - On rare occasions I have lost the mobile network (still under investigation)

Nevertheless, I'm very happy with my Desire :)

5. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

As well as the Desire being a lot faster than the Hero, the Desire is likely to get Android 2.2 at some point and the Hero will be far behind.. if it gets it at all. Android 2.2 is said to run apps 4.5 times faster than 2.1 due to the "Just in Time" (JIT) compiler. Read this article for more info.