Desire wifi on 2.2

Last Updated:

1. paddydog

paddydog Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I have recently updated to Froyo/2.2 on my HTC Desire (on Vodafone contract). According to Vodafone this is now the standard HTC firmware with none of their nonsense installed.

Now I cannot connect to wifi either at home or work. It can see the wireless networks OK, but gets stuck in a loop trying to connect - it seems to be trying to obtains an IP address, gives up and starts again endlessly.

Having searched around the web this seems to be a common 2.2 issue.

I've tried many times with forgetting the credentials, etc and have done the full factory reset. Not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Advertisement
  2. theretroandroid

theretroandroid Well-Known Member

I updated to 2.2, manual install, wifi has actually improved 10x for me! :)

I'd suggest flashing your phone again to the stock 2.2 and try again!

3. paddydog

Tried that, no joy :(

4. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

I have had lots of issues with 2.1 and 2.2, both my Hero and Desire.

I had to restart my router this morning to get it to connect. That's the easiest thing to do.

The other thing I have had to do is open the wireless up to connect. Once it had connected once, I could enable the security, type the code in on the phone and it worked perfect. I have set a static IP on the router for the Hero and the Desire, you may or may not need to do that. Certainly try with no security 1st, then re-enable it.

5. benchmark

benchmark Well-Known Member

Froyo actually improved wireless signal strength (read through the threads) so i guess you have a peculiar problem, return your phone and get it changed. I just hope you did undertake some unapproved firmware changes that will invalidate the warranty.

6. paddydog

I did this and it is working fine at home. If I can get it sorted at work, I'll be happy enough until the issue is resolved by a later update (hopefully)