• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desktop help???

maggie10

Oct 1, 2010
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I cant seem to find the answer anywhere. I just came from a Blackberry and I have always sync'd with my desktop at night, mainly to back up my calendar. But now my calendar is with google sync so I have no need to back up to my computer...that I know of? I also havent seen any mention of a fascinate desktop? Is there one and should I be syncing up? Thank you in advance :)

Welcome to Android Maggie! There really isn't a need to sync with a desktop with Android. Everything on your phone is tied to your gmail account and the phone syncs with that account OTA for you on a regular basis. Even if you replace your phone or upgrade in the future, all of you contacts and your calendar will be restored back to the phone automatically once you enter your gmail account information. All of you paid applications will be waiting for you in the market as well.

Now with that said, if you had your contacts imported from your old BlackBerry to your Fascinate at the store then you might want to check and see where those contacts are being stored. They may not be syncing with Google. To check this, go into Contacts and select groups at the top. You should see a list of different groups. You want most, if not all, of them to show up under Google.

If they are not showing up under google then you need to move them over. The two ways that I know of are for you to go into gmail and manually add them back in. Since that is incredible slow and almost like torture for most people you can also, in contacts, hit Menu > More > Export/Import > Export to SD card. This will move all your contacts over to your SD card. Then you simply need to do the same thing only this time Import them and select google as the location.

Yes, I know I talk to much. ;)

Upvote 0
OftheDamned, thank you so much! That was really, really helpful. Can you do the same for the calendar widget that syncs with my exhange calendar on the phone to sync with google calendar?

While I have never really dealt with exchange, I would imagine that that would require syncing the original calendar with your Google calendar. Just guessing that you are using outlook for this, but there are a few different options you can try. Some free and some for a one time or monthly fee.

Free:
Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Google Apps Outlook Sync for Microsoft Outlook

OggSync - Sync Google Calendar and Contacts with Outlook and Windows Mobile Device Sync (including Microsoft Office)

Paid:
gSync

Sync Outlook, ACT!, Lotus Notes or Palm Desktop with Google and your phone | CompanionLink

Reactions: aklexie
Upvote 0
OTD-
Will this also "sync" or push outlook emails to the SF from an exchange server?

I think some of that stuff will, but like I said my knowledge on exchange is very very limited. If you are looking for email then I think the easiest one to deal with would be touchdown or so I've heard. I've also heard that K9 works well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones