DESPERATE PLEA to all developers!! SIMPLE APP NEEDED TO COMBAT NIGHT-TIME INTERNET ADDICTION

1. Webolic

Webolic New Member

Hi,

Well, I have a problem. And I don't think I'm the only one. But luckilly I think I also have a rather simple solution which could benefit a lot of people.. I just don't know how to make it myself. So.. CALLING ALL DEVELOPERS- I NEED YOUR HELP!!

I AM A WEBOLIC, AN INTERNETAHOLIC, I HAVE A PROBLEM.

Ok, so I'm being a little bit silly, but in all seriousness, I have a problem with night time computer mainly internet usage. It's always.. 'Oh I'll just..' 'I'll just check my emails', 'I'll just watch one more crappy youtube vid'.. and no matter how hard I try, it only takes one slighty upsetting day, or a bit of need for escapism, or just being too spaced out to notice or curb it.. and I can fall into a 'bender'.. end up going to sleep way past what is good for me, sometimes when it's light! I have health issues which mean that sleeping is hard for me anyway, which doesn't help things, I'm also a perfectionist.. which is great when working on something.. but means my wonderful driven personality is my own demon if I'm too spaced out to control it. And I was thinking, an alcoholic wouldn't be expected to just drink a little each day and be able to control it would they? Yes I could go cold turkey.. and never be able to check train times or reply to emails ever again. (I also can't really do that because if I deprive myself of internet I deprive my household of internet and that affects others). But, I have an idea of exactly what I need.

I NEED AN APP, A VERY SIMPLE ONE, THAT SIMPLY SHUTS DOWN MY INTERNET, OR MY WHOLE TABLET/Computer, AT A PRE-SET TIME. But here's the extra and MOST IMPORTANT aspect....- IT NEEDS TO BE PASSWORD PROTECTED.. ie- UNABLE TO BE RESTARTED AGAIN WITHOUT THE USE OF A PASSWORD!!

This password I would get my flatmate or a good friend to set and NOT TELL ME.. (unless I desperately needed to know it, which could be reset again afterwards) because otherwise I'll simply re-login and start everything up again when I'm in a crazy burning the midnight oil kind of mood. I could also do with this app being formulated for MAC as I have one of those also and possible might be tempted to just bootthat up instead, but I'm also pretty certain that there are heaps of PC owners out there who could do with it too.
    I think it could even be a moneyspinner, if you asked for donations I'd definitely donate to it for saving my bedtimes!!!
    And you'd be doing the world a massive favour!
    Like being a big huge cyber Mummy making sure everyone get's their Zzzz's in ok. aww.

There are all these 'sleep calculator' apps on the android market, and none of them have figured out the most basic thing- take the distraction away and probably people will go to bed earlier. The last thing I'd need is to 'check in' with yet another app just before going to bed..oh the irony of using an app on a device to help me go to sleep. All I need is the damn thing to shutdown. - I need the bar to stop serving and kick me out!!! :D

PLEeeeAESE HELP if You cAn.
    Thanks for reading.

Advertisement
  2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

Moved to Application Requests. =)