• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Desperately Need Help NOW with Samsung Galaxy Proclaim reboot issue

CAN I PLEASE AT LEAST GET ACKNOWLEDGEMENT THAT SOMEBODY SAW THIS?

For three days now I have been scouring the Internet for help and I can't even get a single response and morons get instant responses to stupid questions. I'm going to just copy paste now...

So I used the ACS/Shabbypenguin root method (do a Google search, I can't post links...) and followed the directions exactly. Well almost exactly, I knew of some issues so this is what I did...

First I downloaded Superuser & Superuser Elite (I previously paid for it on a different phone).
Then I downloaded the drivers and Odin and both kernals.
I installed the drivers and put my phone into development mode.
Next, I turned off my phone then turned it back on in download mode and flashed the pre-rooted kernal as per the instructions there.
Finally, I went through the process again to flash in the stock kernal.

Now the other users had issues with USB connection and the phone not being recognised, the answer to that was on page 11 of the above linked thread (editing the vold.fstab file). I did this (using ES Root Explorer) as per the instructions and restarted.

Things seemed fine for half a day. Now my phone randomly restarts, but not always randomly. I can perform specific actions to cause it to freeze and reboot (example, simply opening the vold.fstab file does this EVERY TIME, but I was able to copy/paste it to the SD card and then open and edit it and even copy/paste it back, all using ES root explorer, and no crash/reboot unless I open it specifically and yes, that's with having the system mounted as R/W).

Another thing I noticed since rooting, and it still has maintained the rooted status, is that any time my phone restarts or I restart it, I open the system tray and this stupid "tip" toast message comes up that, prior to rooting, only came up once. Now, it comes up only once after a restart but resets every time.

I tried to sign up for the ACS forums but for some reason, I've not gotten a single registration e-mail from them and messaged half their admin with no response (the fact that the site has no cancel account and no re-send activation option troubles me enough as it is and in my opinion, should be internationally illegal).

Anyway, that's the issue, I need to resolve these random restarts, which may or may not be caused by this vold.fstab file.
Also, I connect now (before when I did the fix, it worked), the computer doesn't recognise the phone so I can't even re-flash using Odin, but the phone works (until randomly restarting which is a pain...), so I am at a loss as to what the actual cause was and since nothing I change sticks when it restarts, I have no idea what the deal is.

EDIT / DELETE

anathematized_one
post_old.gif
Today, 12:49 PM
(Last edited by anathematized_one; Today at 02:16 PM.) Reason: update
Junior Member - OP Thanks Meter 0
0.jpg

More Info >

Some more information...

Nothing I change sticks. I have programs that I uninstalled, but they still show up in the system tray after a reboot (if I click it, it says that the program is not installed, but it still shows up).

I tried swapping back the original build.prop - didn't stick.
I tried factory data reset - didn't do anything.
I tried a restore in BusyboxPro (stericon or something is the dev) - restored but there were some "errors".
Tried temporarily unrooting (Superuser Elite) - nothing.

I read about a power button issue - my power button is fine.

There is something wrong specifically with the OS in some way that certain actions cause it to freeze and restart. I have a game, "Deathworm" that I can play with no issues or freezes. I can do a few things but:
if I get on the mobile browser, sometimes it will freeze and reboot.
if I run AppManagerPro III, sometimes it crashes when calculating the cache size (always when it gets to 70/125 or whatever the total is, but always at 70 if it DOES crash).

Now I went into task manager and went through and cleared all the app data individually app per app. Before when I tried to do this (before restoring in Busybox, before restoring the original build.prop, etc), it would crash when I went into the downloaded tab of the thing to clear the cache. This time it didn't crash on me.

Other root stuff I have installed which was working before the random rebooting issue:
  • Script manager (free) and V6 supercharger (also unsupercharging wouldn't stick, which I tried before restoring the build.prop manually)
  • SuperUserElite
  • App Manager Pro III
  • SD Maid Pro
  • ES File Explorer (free version I think)
  • BusyBox Pro
  • SU Update Fixer
  • Screenshot It

After everything I just did, it seems to (for the moment) be working again, I am just waiting to see if it crashes again. So far I have opened and closed App Manager Pro III a few times and it calculated cache sizes with no crash. Right now, SD Maid Pro hasn't crashed yet open, hide certain tabs (clearing the data so I had to reset those options), close, reopen, scanned with system clean and app clean and actually did the app clean, so far no crashes (my phone would normally have crashed by now), cleared databases and no crash.

Also while I was in there, two programs I uninstalled via the system tray (menu button, edit, uninstall) that kept coming back were a buld.prop editor and some wonkey game (Fall down) or something, anyway those were in the downloaded section of task manager and I uninstalled them through there. Maybe that did it?

And no... still freeze, reboot and not saving any changes.

EDIT / DELETE

anathematized_one
post_old.gif
Today, 02:21 PM
(Last edited by anathematized_one; Today at 05:18 PM.)
0.jpg

More Info >

So far I've also tried uninstalling practically everything I installed and those changes aren't persisting (the uninstalled apps remain uninstalled, but reappear in the system tray or on the home screen if I had an icon there for it).

No changes I make to anything persist except things I save or copy to the SD card.

Tried factory reset again, still didn't stick.

EDIT / DELETE

anathematized_one
post_old.gif
Today, 05:28 PM
0.jpg

More Info >

So apparently SOME others have this issue without rooting, I can't tell, there's not a ton of reviews that I can find beyond "STRAIGHT TALK CUSTOMER SERVICE THIS PHONE IS CRAP".

I hate to keep bumping this, but every time I have an issue, I am highly detailed in things and I NEVER EVER have EVER gotten a response EVER on this site, EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I really really really don't want to waste another ~$200 for nothing.

I would appreciate even a response of "yeah I have this problem too".

I don't want this to die like all the other threads I started...

All I know is that all my problems with Android began the moment I said to myself 'I'm going to root this and flash a ROM. ' I have a Galaxy Precedent (the Sprint version of the same phone) and never had a single problem with it. But I never saw a need to root the thing and never had a problem with Android 2.2 so upgrading to 2.3 seems redundant as all the same apps work on both

Upvote 0
CAN I PLEASE AT LEAST GET ACKNOWLEDGEMENT THAT SOMEBODY SAW THIS?

For three days now I have been scouring the Internet for help and I can't even get a single response and morons get instant responses to stupid questions. I'm going to just copy paste now...

im terribly sorry you havent gotten any assistance, it should be noted that ACS is a fairly dead forum and most of its members of its admin/dev teams left a few years back. anyways to the root of the issue, we rooted the illusion because we had a stock kernel leaked. from that we repacked it and and had a tester rooted, we had a proclaim owner who wanted to try it as the devices are very similar.

unfortunatly its not a perfect 1 for 1 hence the usb issues etc. when we posted we were unaware of any issues that may arise (our tester worked fine). even with the knowledge the only way to gain root is to flash the illusion kernel, you need root to dump the kernel so you never get a chance to dump the stock kernel for it :/

as much as id hate to admit it androidarea51 or something is where youd find teh best help. they deal with straight talk devices.

All I know is that all my problems with Android began the moment I said to myself 'I'm going to root this and flash a ROM. ' I have a Galaxy Precedent (the Sprint version of the same phone) and never had a single problem with it. But I never saw a need to root the thing and never had a problem with Android 2.2 so upgrading to 2.3 seems redundant as all the same apps work on both
completely different device. the sprint precedent is the tracfone variant of the prevail

Upvote 0
Hey there anathematized1!
I'm sorry about your issues there. :(
Can you post here the root method for your device?
Perhaps I can find something of help for you:)

Edit: I think I found it:
[ACS] Root For the Samsung Illusion - Proclaim

Is that it?
Yes, that is it.

The weird thing though... any changes to any programs (or anything really) to my SD card is fine, it's only stuff on the actual phone that won't stave it's states.

I can't re-flash or anything either because the computer doesn't recognise the phone anymore when I plug it in (though it did initially).

Something somehow got borked and I can't find it or figure out how.

Also on the side, thank all of you for the responses. Hopefully I can get this issue resolved.

I don't know what the deal is at that other forum (XDA). I have had problems with other phones or things before (non-rooting related) and never got responses over there but everyone else seems to (then again, everyone else asks for help with things they screwed up because they didn't follow the directions).

Upvote 0
im terribly sorry you havent gotten any assistance, it should be noted that ACS is a fairly dead forum and most of its members of its admin/dev teams left a few years back. anyways to the root of the issue, we rooted the illusion because we had a stock kernel leaked. from that we repacked it and and had a tester rooted, we had a proclaim owner who wanted to try it as the devices are very similar.

unfortunatly its not a perfect 1 for 1 hence the usb issues etc. when we posted we were unaware of any issues that may arise (our tester worked fine). even with the knowledge the only way to gain root is to flash the illusion kernel, you need root to dump the kernel so you never get a chance to dump the stock kernel for it :/

as much as id hate to admit it androidarea51 or something is where youd find teh best help. they deal with straight talk devices.

completely different device. the sprint precedent is the tracfone variant of the prevail
Well it was working fine at first, it's only about a day afterward that it started wonking out so I don't know that it has anything to do with the root.

However, it recognises itself as having the stock Proclaim rom, but the computer can't recognise the phone plugged in normally or as USB storage or as ADB dev. options or in recovery mode and it DID recognise it before after the root.

Something happened afterward that borked it in some way and I can't figure out what.

It's only what is on the phone memory itself that's not persisting with any changes. Very odd, but I also don't know much about this kind of OS (mobile devices or Linux-based systems).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones