• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Detailed wiifi diagnostic app

McDarwin

Lurker
Jan 18, 2013
Does anyone know of an app that will produce detailed diagnostic/debug output as you connect and Android phone to a wireless network?

We have a number of users at my site who occasionally have connection problems, however we are having trouble tracking down at what stage of the connection things are going wrong. Having multiple access points with the same SSID and problems being intermittent make it difficult to track issues from our central logs.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see something they can run to either display on a screen or store in a file to send to me. Output would be something like:
Scanning wireless channels
Connected to SSID "blahblahblah" on channel 6
Associated to access point with MAC address 44:55:66:77:88:99 signal strength -57DBi
Negotiating WPA2-Enterprise
Radius authentication request
Sending username and password
Radius authentication passed
Requesting IP address via DHCP
etc

If I had a situation like the above, then I would be able to know they had connected to an access point, which one, what their signal strength was, I could rule out a radius problem and look straight towards my DHCP servers.

I've tried a few of the Wifi manager apps and Wifi Analyzer, which give some useful information, such as the AP you are connected to, but not those detailed steps.

As I will be advising this to end users, I can't ask them to root their phones. Though if a more technical solution is available, I'd be interested for members of the technical team.

I'm wondering if you are looking in the wrong direction. My initial thought on this was that you should be looking for a logging app not a wifi app. I would think that there should be some logging of wifi connections, status, etc. I know that "aLogCat" does display some info. It will tell you what SSID your device tries to connect to, what security type it is (WPA) and what MAC address. I don't know if there are any other loggers that grab more info, but this may lead you in the right direction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones