• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Detect Traffic Lights Depending in GPS Location

Is it possible to gather the data from traffic lights and have it displayed in a smartphone depending in the GPS location? I'm in Tallahassee, FL, in USA if that helps and even though I have clear vision, I may have trouble seeing traffic lights far away during daytime. This is dependent in the direction I'm traveling. It's actually very useful for those who may have trouble seeing traffic lights due to the glare and broad daylight and I'd like to do this when I'm using my tricycle to get around the city. And let me say that I can see traffic lights during the night time or when it gets very cloudy.

Let's say that I'm creating my own cyclocomputer application that looks like this (Speed is in MPH):

Code:
Speed      Direction
15.2               N
Current Address:
Appleyard Dr.

This is dependent in the location of the phone by using a GPS. So if I add another one like so:

Code:
Speed      Direction
15.2               N
Current Address:
Appleyard Dr.
Traffic Light Ahead:
Yellow

So all it does is it assists me in making sure that I can slow down and stop if there is a yellow or red light from a traffic light up ahead of me. So when the light turns red, it can show me this:

Code:
 Speed      Direction
 15.2               N
 Current Address:
 Appleyard Dr.
Traffic Light Ahead:
Red

And if the traffic light is green, it will show me this:

Code:
  Speed Direction
  15.2          N
  Current Address:
  Appleyard Dr.
 Traffic Light Ahead:
 Green

I saw an article about Dashboard phones track traffic light wait times and it looks like you have to aim your phone's camera toward the traffic lights, but since I'm going to be mouinting a phone in a tricycle, the camera can be blocked and cannot be used, so I'm wondering if there's a different way to gather information from the traffic lights? I'm not into developing an application that graphically showing drivers how fast to go to avoid stopping at the next light. Not even having a countdown until the light goes green.

Is this possible? I've already created my own cyclocomputer application once which makes use of GPS, so I thought I'd like my own application to make sure I stop at red lights. This can prove useful where riding in sidewalks can be illegal in downtown depending in city ordinance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones