determine 3G signal strengthGeneral

1. testeraf

testeraf Well-Known Member

I just bought an Optimus V. I haven't activated it yet.

Is there a way to determine if I can get a 3G signal from a couple locations before I activate it?

I have a laptop that has a wifi antenna, so if that could be of use to determine Sprint 3G signal strength or if there is an app that can be used with the wifi signal, please let me know.

Advertisement
    :
  2. kwknott

kwknott Well-Known Member Developer

Wifi and 3g are 2 different frequencies. The wifi card in your laptop wouldn't be able to pick up sprints 3g signal.

Even if your phone isn't activated you still should pick up Sprint's signal. As long as you have cell service you should have 3g. The 3g indicator won't show until you activate but the signal indicator should show. As long as you have at least one bar you should be good. There are a few apps that will show the network signal strength if you want a more accurate reading than the icon in status bar
  3. testeraf

Will those apps work before I activate my service?
  4. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

Likely not because they would send a ping through your 3g to figure the strength and you have no data connection other than WiFi. Phone is available by law for emergency calls. There are coverage maps on virgin mobiles site.
  5. testeraf

Are you saying that I could call 911 even without activating my phone?
  6. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

Yes it's the law all phones have to be able to.
  7. kwknott

The apps won't show 3g data since you aren't activated. Just signal strength of Sprint Signal from towers. I tried one called network signal info on an unactivated phone and it showed signal strength. If you can pick up cell signal you can get 3g but you won't know speeds until you activate
  8. testeraf

So do you think my tracfone could call 911 even if it doesn't have minutes?
  9. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member

Yes
  10. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

All cell carriers are required by law to processes all 911 calls regardless of account status of the phone dialing 911. I kept a cell in my wife's glove box for her for years just for that reason.
  11. testeraf

Oh great. I keep renewing my tracfone minutes every 90 days just so I can call 911 if need.

Is that the only number that cell carriers are required to allow access to regardless of service status?
  12. kwknott

Yes only 911
  13. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Wow.. learn something new every day. I did not know this!
  14. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

ok bak on topic if you have DECENT signal you should be good
  15. CuriousNoob

CuriousNoob Well-Known Member

Download Opensignal maps if you can through wifi, then see how strongthe ssignal is?
  16. testeraf

I had to test it out by calling 911 because I hit a deer while driving. It certainly did work. Neat.
  17. testeraf

Would anyone know why the signal bars and the "3G" text in my notifications bar just turned from white to green?
  18. Petrah

If you're running the stock rom, I've no idea. Isn't the notification bar white with black icons and text with the bars being green depending on signal strength? I honestly don't remember. I know the Gingerbread roms have green 3G text with green bars and the ICS roms are blue. They can also be theme dependent.
  19. testeraf

This is a used Optimus that I bought (shouldn't have because I don't know a thing about it). It must be a theme setting.
  20. riggerman1

riggerman1 Well-Known Member

When your signal icons turns green, it just means you are synced with Google servers. This allows for gmail updates, play store notifications and app auto updates, if you have auto sync set.
    Petrah likes this.
  21. testeraf

I do believe it started displaying green after I signed into Google Play for the first time.

By the way, is there a way to go through that Google Play sign up process again? It had a list of several apps that it wanted to install. I declined the installations.

After becoming slightly more familiar with the phone I would like to install a few of them but I can't recall their names exactly.
  22. Petrah

I just looked this up and you're correct. I had no idea! Learn something new every day.... thanks for teaching me something new. ;)

I'm convinced though that had I bought a phone with Android 2.3.* on it, I would of already read the user manual and knew that info. :rolleyes:
  23. helpifIcan

helpifIcan Well-Known Member

Tap play store
    Tap far left button
    Tap My apps
    slide bar near the top to the left to show all appsThis shoul show you all the apps in your account.
    Just tap on the ones you want to install
    This will also show you any apps that need to be updated

:party:
  24. testeraf

You can have apps in your account without installing them?