• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [DEV] Kitkat development

It wont really help because of how that phone is setup
its an exynos3 based phone designed by samsung while we're on a msm8655 designed by qualcomm. the way the kernels and stuff is different (their ramdisk is INSIDE the kernel while ours is just "paired" or rather meshed to make a boot.img) and i need a look at the boot process to help get this rom booting. i'll prolly take a look at some of the 8x55 sony's or htc ramdisks to help.

Reactions: Dslack420
Upvote 0
Right ok yes sony or htc. Yea we are only at snapdragon s2 Sorry i thought anything can be dont today in todays tech. Isnt HTC Desire one to work with? And find some phones that run at 1.2 same chip. Sam Galaxy reverb is the same at 1.4. Sony Xperia play too. Ive had the Xperia it was very smooth back in the day. htc one s and x maybe. I dont know any of this stuff just trying to help. does init.d have alot to do with this and booting?

Upvote 0
That's a refreshing outlook on programming to hear. It boggles my mind how bloated and wasteful apps nowadays are! Just because high-powered hardware is coming within reach of an ever-growing number of folks doesn't mean a programmer should take the easy (e.g. lazy) route. Why waste when you don't have to? Make it run, first, then optimize and optimize some more, until it executes faster than a crack-snorting cheetah on fire riding a bolt of greased lightning.

I've been working on making an OS / GUI shell in my rare moments of spare time, and it just amazes me how much I can accomplish on basic hardware when meanwhile the big boys at Microsoft require a dual core processor and a couple gigs of RAM before they'll even install. :argh:

*steps off soapbox*

Wow I love it when this topic comes up, I might be showing my age but I remember when.....

Anyway just imagine if there were a team of old time assembly programmers around from back then and they were given an average pc platform from today and told to build an os from the ground up 1-to be as fast as possible 2-do all of the things we are used to today ie email, web, stream, video conference. 3- make it pretty if you can without giving up 1 or 2
I would love to see what they could come up with, without any preconceived notions from the big guys today, that in a way is a dream of mine, not a wet dream mind you but close enough! LOL

Upvote 0
Wow I love it when this topic comes up, I might be showing my age but I remember when.....

Anyway just imagine if there were a team of old time assembly programmers around from back then and they were given an average pc platform from today and told to build an os from the ground up 1-to be as fast as possible 2-do all of the things we are used to today ie email, web, stream, video conference. 3- make it pretty if you can without giving up 1 or 2
I would love to see what they could come up with, without any preconceived notions from the big guys today, that in a way is a dream of mine, not a wet dream mind you but close enough! LOL

You know, that is REALLY nice. And I "think" that is what we have here with our Dev's. Think about it. Okay, we have a P.O.S. cheap phone. And I tell ya what. I'll put my phone up against a lot of my friends phones and they go, "WOW!" Maybe not as good, but they still say "whoa", when I tell them how much it is, and where it started from........
Granted, we have a few issues. But, really, for the price of this cheap lil phone, sh-t, we're still in the boxing ring!
I love my phone. I hope that we can all afford to go to WARP 4-g and carry all of our goodies to that! Then Watch us!
I guess I'm being the Warp frigging cheerleader tonight! LOL
This is a hobby for me. I enjoy it, and I really like all of you.

GOOOOOO WARP!!!!!!
This is embarrassing, for a 52 year old man................LOL

Upvote 0

That's pretty much exactly what I've been trying to do with this project off and on (mostly off, lol) since late 1995. I want to make something that is easy to use for everyone, will work on a variety of PC hardware and is fast, strong and stable. There's not much to show, yet, as most of the progress being made is under-the-hood (currently I'm working on implementing FAT16 support) but when it's done I think it'll be pretty cool :)

Upvote 0
You mean after I got the 4g LTE now we're getting Kit Kat ? I'm glad I didn't give up my old friend yet. May have to give this to the wife if this happens!

And we're close to finishing up work on the Warp 4g. I plan on getting camera for us fixed tonight if I have enough time :D

Reactions: xman95 and sb43
Upvote 0
Kitkat is comming. Osiris is now in full kitkat mode. Keep you all posted on this Major hack job lol

This is going to be a blast! Thanks again to the team for all your work.

I can't wait until one of you gets a hold of a Boost GS3... we need some help over there LOL I've learned a lot from ya DM but the GS3 is a whole new ball game...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones