Developer version of VZW?

1. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

I've heard rumors of a "developer" version of the S4 (for VZW) being sold directly from Sammy?

Anyone hear anything new besides the leak several weeks ago ?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Crashumbc

And it is already back ordered :/

oh well.

I'm on the E-mail list :)
  3. Crashumbc

Was ANYONE actually able to order this?

Just curious because its STILL back ordered :(
  4. Paradox07

Paradox07 Member

What is the difference between the regular vzw s4 and the developer version?
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Developer edition doesn't contain the locked bootloader that the regular version does. However the developer editions are always in short supply and must be bought at full retail and aren't subsidized.
    Paradox07 likes this.
  6. Crashumbc

Yup, although I'm buying at full retail anyway because I'm not giving VZW the satisfaction of yanking my unlimited plan, so I mine as well get the DEV edition so I don't need to deal with hacking hassle.
  7. jhawkkw

Yep, I agree with you completely. It's just dumb that they make it so difficult to get these dev versions.
  8. jikhead

jikhead Well-Known Member

If you were to buy the developer edition, would you still be prone to OTA by Verizon that would render the bootloader locked/useless (like the regular Verizon versions of S4)? Or would you be safe from Verizon Vader's death grip?:D
  9. jhawkkw

I believe it would be on its own update path. This is why someone can't simply copy the bootloader from this version to patch the locked version.