• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
You dont just become a developer. You must know,learn, and build roms. In my book, and hope I dont offend anyone, but I dont consider people developers unless they build from source code. Anyone can take a per-existing rom throw theyre little twist on it. But it takes an actual dev to be able to actually build a rom.

If you are happening to be talking about the Dev tags like PlayfulGod has, You just have to prove yourself. The list of phones he has dev'd for is longer then the list of phones most people have owned.

Themers are not developers. Neither are modders. Case in point, I theme. And I also do mods. But I dont even know where to start to dev a rom. Theme'n youre dealing with XML and png images. Mods you are dealing with Samli. Thats nothing close to actually being a dev. Some call me a themer Some call me a modder and some call me both. But I dont even really consider my self either.I didnt learn what little I know (I learn stuff everyday constantly) because i wanted to be a themer nor a modder...I learned it because I saw things for different phones and said dammit I want that on my phone. Didnt know who to ask and didnt want to bug anyone so I just searched forum after forum, and guide after guide till I knew how to do it all. :D

And Welcome to Android Forums :)

Upvote 0
You dont just become a developer. You must know,learn, and build roms. In my book, and hope I dont offend anyone, but I dont consider people developers unless they build from source code. Anyone can take a per-existing rom throw theyre little twist on it. But it takes an actual dev to be able to actually build a rom.

If you are happening to be talking about the Dev tags like PlayfulGod has, You just have to prove yourself. The list of phones he has dev'd for is longer then the list of phones most people have owned.

Themers are not developers. Neither are modders. Case in point, I theme. And I also do mods. But I dont even know where to start to dev a rom. Theme'n youre dealing with XML and png images. Mods you are dealing with Samli. Thats nothing close to actually being a dev. Some call me a themer Some call me a modder and some call me both. But I dont even really consider my self either.I didnt learn what little I know (I learn stuff everyday constantly) because i wanted to be a themer nor a modder...I learned it because I saw things for different phones and said dammit I want that on my phone. Didnt know who to ask and didnt want to bug anyone so I just searched forum after forum, and guide after guide till I knew how to do it all. :D

And Welcome to Android Forums :)

+1 this guy is talking real stuff here. I am just like you especially this part

" I learned it because I saw things for different phones and said dammit I want that on my phone. Didnt know who to ask and didnt want to bug anyone so I just searched forum after forum, and guide after guide till I knew how to do it all. :D"

This goes for everything from electronics, car, guns...I did everything by researching and tons of reading.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones