Developers .. I NEED AN APP for data PLEASE

Last Updated:

1. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I really need an app that allows me to turn off all data while still being able to make phone calls (so no airplane mode). I started a thread and messenger13 found a way to do it. I'm hoping someone here can make this into a nice little toggle widget or soemthing and simplify this process.

I KNEW I had read of a method to disable data, and I finally found the info. This is really cool stuff.

To disable data:

- Open dialer
    - Dial *#*#4636#*#*
    - Tap 'Phone Information'
    - Press Menu button
    - Tap on More
    - Tap Disable data connection (Or, Disable data on boot. You could do that on the way TO work, then just reboot when you get to work.)

Simply reverse the steps to re-enable your data connection ... either immediately, or after your next reboot.

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

[Moved from "Devs" to "App Requests" subforum.]

... but isn't this what APNdroid does?

3. brnr17

maybe .. does the phrase "stops phone from connecting to the internet" used in the description stop the phone just from using brower, or does it turn off all data connections including text messages?

I basically need to make it so the only function my phone can use network wise is the phone itself. no data whatsoever. do you think this does this?

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I believe SMS messages will work, but MMS messages will not. I don't know if you can block the receipt of SMS messages.

5. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

APNDroid is great, it turns off the data connection, but not the network connection. Phone calls and messages work fine. Are you saying you want to block SMS messages as well? Why? They don't use the data connection. As far as I know, there is no way to block SMS messages, but not block phone calls. Maybe your network provider could do it on their end

6. beancounter

beancounter New Member

It appears APNdroid does not work for the Droid. So this App request seems valid to me, and is also an app I'm looking for.

7. brnr17

i emailed the dev and apndroid only blocks internet, not actual data. I do not want to permanently delete, but i need to be able to turn off data when i go to work, until then i have to turn my phone completely off. messenger 13 found a way which i included above, im hoping a dev can take the process i copy and pasted into my OP and make it into a simple toggle.

8. 28064212

Not quite following you here. What data are you talking about? Typically when people refer to data (in a smartphone context), they're talking about 2G/3G data, which APNDroid turns off. Other than WiFi and Bluetooth, the only other data is phone calls and messages. What do you want to turn off?

9. brnr17

it was explained to me that the phone transfers information in 2 diff ways. Voice calls use one "bandwith" and all data uses another "bandwith" ( i know they aren't called bandwith's but for the sake of the post go with me here). Now i need an app the will allow me to make a phone call, but turn any other type of bandwiths off (texts, internet, apps syncing, etc.) do you follow me?

10. 28064212

Ah yes, ok, that's clearer. APNDroid does block all data, except for standard texts and calls. Can I ask why you want to block the data? Is it because you don't have a data allowance, so you'd run up huge bills? If so, then APNDroid is what you want. If there's another reason, I don't know of any way to block texts but not phone calls. Texts are essentially on the same 'bandwidth' as voice calls, and APNDroid blocks the other one

11. brnr17

i work for the railroad and with all the train crashes that have happened recently the FRA has stepped in and instituted guidelines for cell phone use. It's a $20,000 personal fine issued if your caught breaking these rules on purpose so you can understand me wanting to be thorough!
    under their rules, while on a train we are only able have our phone's powered on if the train is stopped, and even then we are only allowed to make voice calls. No texting or browsing. So that's why im looking for an app that will allow me to turn of ALLLL data and let me only make voice calls.

12. brnr17

come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

13. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N Well-Known Member

in the settings cant you just turn off background data?

14. brnr17

no, just tested and it still allows text messages to come through

15. Kittyfae

Kittyfae Well-Known Member

Texts use the same protocol that voice uses, which is why you are having difficulties turning it off. It doesn't use a 2g/3g data connection at all.

16. marchold

marchold Well-Known Member

I was implementing the network detection and disabling background data just sets a flag programs can check if they want to.

17. gerryk

gerryk Well-Known Member

This sounds like a staff policy thing rather than a technological issue. If you are not allowed text and browse, just don't do it. Surely you don't need a switch to prevent you from texting or browsing, do you?

18. brnr17

maybe you didnt read through it correctly the first time ......... IF SOMETHING HAPPENS WHETHER IT BE MY FAULT OR NOT AT WORK THE GOVERNEMENT HAS THE RIGHT TO PULL MY PHONE RECORDS. yes i can manage to keep myself from texting just fine thank you, HOWEVER, i can't control if someone sends me one, or if an application decides to update. Since the only thing i can use is voice calls i'm trying to find something to block everything else. Have i made this clear enough for you?