1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Developers - screen shot app sans root! Please!

Last Updated:

1. HumanContract

HumanContract Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it just an impossibility to do? I have no idea about these things, but I guess if it is possible it would have been done already, no?

I haven't taken the plunge to root, and not sure if I will...and the instructions for screen shot on Droid are basically chinese to me because I have no skill when it comes to this sorta thing.

I just want an app that will take a screenshot without root =[

People like me would pay for an app like this. You could make killer money guys, come on!

Advertisement
  2. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

I believe it is a security violation; hence the need to root.

you can take screenshots of an unrooted phone using the android development environment.

3. HumanContract

Thanks, maybe one day when I have lots of brain power I'll try it out, lol.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I'm using "PicMe" and "ShootMe", one does screen shots and the other does (very low fps) screen casts via a web server (I can never remember which is which though! :p).

Anyway, I played around with these before rooting my phone and they worked just fine! :D I don't know if you have the same luck, but it's worth a shot...

ILoveMyDroid likes this.
  5. badfrog

badfrog Well-Known Member

I followed these instructions and got it figured out rather quickly.

when you connect your phone, make sure it is in sync mode, not charge or mount.
    also, I just installed all the available packages.
    you may need to change it to force https to http (under settings tab/misc)

6. HumanContract

Thank you! I will def try them out, I was under the impression all those apps were for rooted phones only. Can't thank you enough!

Update
    Yeah totally doesn't work without root...the more I read the more I wanna root, but I'm shakin in mah boots ;[

7. KlaymenDK

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you ... I didn't know why it worked for me in the first place. The security model on Android is really a pain, and it's not very elegantly thought out. But then I come from the wide-open PalmOS where rooting wasn't required and on-the-fly backups just worked. (Good times... :eek:)

Can I ask, what are you afraid of? I don't mean to be any kind of condescending, but trying to understand.

I don't know how rooting works on the Droid (I'm sure the rooting forum knows), but on my Galaxy it's an extreeemely easy and risk-free process! Here's a thought: try to find some threads from people who've bricked their phones by rooting ... I can't recall seeing any.

8. badfrog

badfrog Well-Known Member

the method I posted and does work, and doesn't mess with your phone any.
    it seems a little daunting at first, but once you figure it out, it's all cake from there.

HumanContract likes this.
  9. HumanContract

Well, I've had the Droid for about 2-3 weeks now and have been reading about rooting more and more the past couple days. I am pretty sure I will eventually do it, I just want to make sure I'm well prepared and know what I'm doing and have read all the necessary info about it.

I am basically happy with my phone, I mean it's awesome! But just hearing about all this root talk makes me think it must be worth it. I do wish however that I was a little more savvy in the tech department it would definitely help with my confidence lol, all of the lingo I read kinda makes my head spin so I'm just reading and re-reading until I feel more comfy.

Thanks for your help and support, I will definitely let ya know how it goes once I do root =]

10. KlaymenDK

11. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

12. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

Right. But I posted the link and the topic last night. :D

I'm no tech wizard, but I got it to work within about 10 minutes... no fuss, no muss. Pretty simpy.

13. lemodular

lemodular Well-Known Member

Home ++ will do this, at least when I used it.

no root, no SDK

14. just_jess

just_jess New Member

15. kevin@teslacoilsw

kevin@teslacoilsw VIP Member VIP Member

Plug the phone into the computer and make sure Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging is on.

On your Mac open Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and run:
    ~/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/ddms

(Assuming you put the android-sdk-mac_86 directory in your home directory, if it's on your desktop then ~/Desktop/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/ddms)

This will bring up the DDMS console and you can do Menu > Device > Screen Capture.