Developer's Team

1. redliner

redliner Member

I'm working in the 2.2 SDK environment trying to make an unofficial update.zip for the world's first Devour running 2.2

I'm in the process of setting up the AVD for the emulator... currently I am in need of the detailed settings and info for the devour's hardware... piece by piece... unfortunately until we figure out how to hack the built in rom or get hold of a source we might not be able to know some of the information.

0.1 - setting up device AVD/SDK
    0.2 - alpha testing the AVD in the emulator
    0.3 - updating the AVD/retesting in the emulator
    0.4 - packaging the update.zip
    0.5 - testing on the Motorola Devour :p

let me know if you know of any information!!!

Advertisement
  2. redliner

redliner Member

All the info i have on the devour so far:

3. redliner

redliner Member

4. homer169

homer169 Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see someone working on this. Please keep us up on your progress.
  5. phirefaux

phirefaux Well-Known Member

ive been checking with the guys at xda with no luck, ill keep on it though i would love to have 2.2 before my buddy with his incredible haha
  6. redliner

redliner Member

I'd like to connect with someone from xda whom has tried, I guess the only things i have going for me would be that i work for verizon wireless, have experience in the insanelymac.com osx86 (hackintosh) scene, and have linux experience. one of my guides has over 60,000 views.

anywho, all bragging aside, i'd like to get some help from someone experienced with rooting in general and someone with experience with the android emulator.
  7. redliner

redliner Member

i just need help packaging the sdk files as an update/ getting past the "permisions" check.
  8. phirefaux

So in laymans terms you have a 2.2 rom essentially that you are trying to trick the phone into thinking is an official update?
  9. Nascar2555

Nascar2555 Member

I am so thankful that people are working on this. I have been begging motorola in the devour community about an upgrade from 1.6 for a couple of weeks now. I will do anything to help and get this working. No root nor linux experience but I am a network administor and I do understand some basic concepts. Trust me. Once you get it working. I will be the second to install. I am a little cautious because I can't afford a new phone if it bricks it but I am anxious.
  10. Nascar2555

Nascar2555 Member

11. phirefaux

Id try it out lol, if I brick if ill just run over it and get a new one via asurion...hooray insurance!!
  12. phirefaux

Redliner being that your a vzw rep could you give us any info on whether this device is being considered for at least a 2.1 update? I know 2.2 is unlikely lol according to moto its still under evaluation
  13. LCKY 13

LCKY 13 Member

This thread makes me smile haha. Awesome to see someone is looking into rooting this phone. I agree it would be awesome to get 2.2 before my friends with droid/incredible.
  14. AustinLott

AustinLott Well-Known Member

Can you give us a time estimate? I have zero experiance in developing or rooting. the Devour is my first android btw.
  15. rwilliams268

rwilliams268 Member

redliner I have gotten to the recovery console and getting RSD Lite to see the device I also have MOTODEV Studio installed. Maybe we can help each other out? Just let me know what other info you might need I'll get what I can.
    ZXMustang likes this.
  16. karvec

karvec Member

I have the official 1.6 source for the Devour downloaded off of teamforge, if you'd like it it's a pretty big file, 187 megs total, but you may be able to piece some of the information you need together from that. I already set up a torrent for it-- http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5608028 It *IS* an "open-source" project, so Motorola can make changes but they can't keep everything from us. Hopefully someone with a little know-how can make something out of that.
  17. Nascar2555

Nascar2555 Member

I love this post. Can I help you guys in anyway? Or an update on what you guys left to do. I am eager to help.
  18. snowboarderxd1

snowboarderxd1 Well-Known Member

Iv had my Devour for awhile if theres anything i can do to help out im up for it. I really want to have like root access to this Damn thing ! haha
  19. rwilliams268

rwilliams268 Member

I can not speak for redliner or his progress but at this moment I have the source file from teamforge and the devour sdk from motorola. I have hit a brick wall with my knowledge and do not know which way to go. I wish I knew more when it comes to code and what exactly to look for. I will try again today to scan the web and see what I can learn on making a custom recovery image with superuser access.
  20. redliner

redliner Member

I apologize for my lack of presence the last few days, I've been without internet and in the middle of a move, plus I'm newly married ;D....

I just thought i'd get the ball rolling :)

Karvec, I just downloaded the source, I'll see what I can do.

as far as my status as a vzw rep, there's no intended update for the devour untill 2.3 or later.... and that's very unlikely still. I'll just be happy to get to 2.2 :)

if you are interested in working on this project officially, lets start a google wave or sourceforge or something of the sort?

right now my approach is pretty simplistic:
    Dissect the source and figure the folder ordering, and try to replace the source files with the ones from 2.2... and figure out how to get the update.zip to "have permission"
  21. rwilliams268

rwilliams268 Member

rwilliams268@googlewave.com so if you want we can set up a google wave I'm on it as we speak so lets get our collective heads together and gets this thing going
  22. redliner

redliner Member

google wave is a go :)
  23. karvec

karvec Member

Remember, that's the 1.6 SOURCE and you have to compile it. Not the 2.2. And, currently, windows is not a supported platform to compile from. :p That's what they used for the Devour, straight off of Teamforge.
  24. karvec

karvec Member

Oh, and congrats on getting married, man!
  25. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

What bothers me is that it seems Motorola is working on using blur with 2.X on their newer devices (shadow and possible droid2) but their effort seems to be lacking as far as the Backflip, Cliq, and the Devour are concerned.