• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Developer's Team

redliner

Jun 2, 2010
I'm working in the 2.2 SDK environment trying to make an unofficial update.zip for the world's first Devour running 2.2

I'm in the process of setting up the AVD for the emulator... currently I am in need of the detailed settings and info for the devour's hardware... piece by piece... unfortunately until we figure out how to hack the built in rom or get hold of a source we might not be able to know some of the information.

0.1 - setting up device AVD/SDK
0.2 - alpha testing the AVD in the emulator
0.3 - updating the AVD/retesting in the emulator
0.4 - packaging the update.zip
0.5 - testing on the Motorola Devour :p

let me know if you know of any information!!!

All the info i have on the devour so far:

I've made a very tiny bit of progress in rooting the devour, but I don't have an update.zip package to play around with.

I have found out how to force the update, though:

With the phone off, hold down the R and the spacebar, and turn it on. Hold them down until you get a warning-sign screen.
Code:
Press ZB for the text/menu:

Motorola/Android system recovery utility
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

F+H - reboot system now
Z+B - toggle log text display
Z+N - apply sdcard:update.zip
Z+M - wipe data/factory reset

Upvote 0
I'd like to connect with someone from xda whom has tried, I guess the only things i have going for me would be that i work for verizon wireless, have experience in the insanelymac.com osx86 (hackintosh) scene, and have linux experience. one of my guides has over 60,000 views.

anywho, all bragging aside, i'd like to get some help from someone experienced with rooting in general and someone with experience with the android emulator.

Upvote 0
I am so thankful that people are working on this. I have been begging motorola in the devour community about an upgrade from 1.6 for a couple of weeks now. I will do anything to help and get this working. No root nor linux experience but I am a network administor and I do understand some basic concepts. Trust me. Once you get it working. I will be the second to install. I am a little cautious because I can't afford a new phone if it bricks it but I am anxious.

Upvote 0
I have the official 1.6 source for the Devour downloaded off of teamforge, if you'd like it it's a pretty big file, 187 megs total, but you may be able to piece some of the information you need together from that. I already set up a torrent for it-- http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5608028 It *IS* an "open-source" project, so Motorola can make changes but they can't keep everything from us. Hopefully someone with a little know-how can make something out of that.

Upvote 0
I can not speak for redliner or his progress but at this moment I have the source file from teamforge and the devour sdk from motorola. I have hit a brick wall with my knowledge and do not know which way to go. I wish I knew more when it comes to code and what exactly to look for. I will try again today to scan the web and see what I can learn on making a custom recovery image with superuser access.

Upvote 0
I apologize for my lack of presence the last few days, I've been without internet and in the middle of a move, plus I'm newly married ;D....

I just thought i'd get the ball rolling :)

Karvec, I just downloaded the source, I'll see what I can do.

as far as my status as a vzw rep, there's no intended update for the devour untill 2.3 or later.... and that's very unlikely still. I'll just be happy to get to 2.2 :)

if you are interested in working on this project officially, lets start a google wave or sourceforge or something of the sort?

right now my approach is pretty simplistic:
Dissect the source and figure the folder ordering, and try to replace the source files with the ones from 2.2... and figure out how to get the update.zip to "have permission"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones