• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Developing Apps. Where to start?

HTML is a display language, not a programming language. CSS is close to the same thing.

The language Android apps are written in is Java. If you're familiar with Java, and know programming (which is a totally different thing), learning the Android environment shouldn't be too difficult.

If you don't know programming (which has nothing to do with programming languages, it's a discipline, not a language), start by learning programming first. Algorithms and Data Structures is the best place to start. (I used to use that as a test in my programming classes - if you thought it was difficult, I'd allow you to drop the course without penalty because you were obviously not physically equipped to learn programming. Right-brained people - other than Leonardo da Vinci - can not learn programming, any more than a 5 foot tall man can be 6 feet tall.)

Reactions: AndroidKillsiOS
Upvote 0
I always direct people to the easiest place I've found. You may find it a bit boring and too simple at first. But it helps to know the basic building blocks before you build your McMansion :)

Getting Started | Android Developers

There's plenty of info out there just have to be able to sift through all the crap.

Thanks very much. I don't mind the boring simple stuff, it's good to have a good solid foundation of the basics before moving on to the good stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones