1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Developing Apps?

Last Updated:

1. LostArtist

LostArtist Member This Topic's Starter

how hard is it to develop apps for android? I'm a graduate student and we are required to have a "capstone experience" which we get to pretty much define ourselves, we can write a thesis, do an internship or do a project. I was thinking of developing some kind of news feed with social commenting app for android for the project. I only have a little experience programming, learning Visual Basic now, and some Actionscript 3 (if you call that programming), I'm taking a class to learn how to make web applications next semester, hopefully. and I'd like to roll all that experience together to make an android app, not sure what kind yet, maybe a game, but probably more of a news feed with a social media/forum.

what kind of apps would you all like to see?

I'm a graphic designer/artist so the more creative the better.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Personally, I'd like to see a car locator app that's simple and fuctional. I've given up on searching for them as the ones I find are either absolutely stripped of fuctionality, cumbersome to use, or need to run in the background. What I'm picturing is Google maps opening up, with a dot where you are, a different colored dot where you are looking to return to, the distance between the dots, and a floating compass to tell you which way you need to go. What would (most likely) set this apart is that I'd like to be able to shut it down after marking the "end point" of where I parked my car. I only need it to run one way, so it should not require the gps to run in the background, but should remember the location at start up, prompt to enable GPS if needed, and calibrate its bearings from there to allow a return trip. It seems like every app I've checked out fails in one or more of those areas, yet it seems so simple. I don't know code though, so maybe I'm just pipe-dreaming. Thoughts?

3. TheCompBoy

TheCompBoy Well-Known Member

It depends on if you whant to put your apps on the market or just make them for yourself if you whant to make for yourself you can ise ''App inventor'' its simple and easy but you can't put the apps up on Market yet they didn't finish that function. If you whant to make apps for yourself and be able to put it up on the Market you should download Eclipse and android SDK i will give you a link to a tutorial if you would be intrested but for eclipse you need to know java programing and its like learning a new language but its fun when you got it!..

Here is a link for tutorial : Android SDK | Android Developers
    Here's one for App inventor : About - App Inventor for Android
    Have fun!

geniarrol03 and LostArtist like this.
  4. geniarrol03

geniarrol03 New Member

Looks like we have the same problem LostArtist. Me and my partner are about to develop an application for our thesis project. It was inspired from the classic game, Boggle. It also requires a mobile phone with motion sensor. I had lots of experience with Java, so my professor advised us to use Android instead of Bada, which was related to C++. I am as curious as you are. Nervous at the same time. But what Smultron had said, inspired me a lot. I hope that could help you the way it did to me.

5. LostArtist

LostArtist Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not sure this is for me, I don't have a great deal of programming knowledge and the Java class isn't being offered this spring and I don't know when it will be, looks like I"m going to have to a developed website with forums and RSS and all that and art content and use that as a basis for when I want to jump into developing a mobile app sometime. kinda bummed

6. geniarrol03

geniarrol03 New Member

Goodluck for the both of us.