• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Developing ROMs?

Can anyone tell me what all is involved in developing ROMs? I mean aside from getting the source. HTC released the source for our phone a while ago, but most (all?) developers moved on to newer phones.

I've managed to find some ROMs based on the official ICS release but those are mostly a mix of ICS/CM and have issues.

If it doesn't require brain surgery and months of time, I'm thinking of trying my hand.

I'm no programmer; I work in QA for a living and know just enough about Linux and Unix to be dangerous (rm -r anyone? ;))

Is there a tutorial or how-to somewhere?

If it doesn't require brain surgery and months of time, I'm thinking of trying my hand.

I'm no programmer
Those two are pretty much mutually exclusive. Unless you're talking about adding apps, applying patches that others have written, etc., developing a ROM means writing code. (Developing means code designing and writing.)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones