device specific questions - Samsung Epic

Last Updated:

1. enterusername

enterusername New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I'm new to Android so please bear with me.

Although I've been searching for a few days for the answers to my questions, I've still come up empty handed. Hopefully, you guys can help me.

I'm thinking of getting an Epic on August 31st.

I will use the phone for business first and the multimedia capabilities come second.

I know the Epic is the Sprint variation of the Galaxy S series. So hopefully someone here with experiences on device variants have answers.

With that, does anyone know if the Epic will/is:

1) have a time and date stamp on text messages
    2) have on-device screen shot capable (without having to http://tinyurl.com/yhcmkgt)*
    3) support multiple EAS accounts*
    4) allow calendar events for multiple profiles appear on one calendar view? (eg: work 1 is blue, work 2 is red, personal is green etc)
    5) allow remote wipe
    6) will record phone calls
    7) have the ability to delete or hide stock apps
    8) allow forwarding of emails without stripping attachments
    9) not cap email attachments size
    10) play wav email attachments (this is the format of my work voicemail - wav to email)

**I heard I have to get Froyo 2.2 to support multiple EAS accounts (w/o having to buy Touchdown) but I also heard that breaks the ShootMe app.

After reading up on Roms, I understand that I can flash another Rom to the device. But I also understand that I am, for the most part, stuck with the tweaks on that Rom.

Is there is a plain Rom that I can load with all these above features as default? That I can further tweak to personalize for myself?

I am not that interested in apps (games, social networking), just utilities.

I am coming from a Palm Pre. Except for #6, all the above listed features are on my Pre so not having the basics on any new phone would be a make or break for me.

Thanks very much.

Advertisement
  2. enterusername

anyone?

3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

None of us have got an Epic yet, except for a few lucky reviewers. We won't know the answers until it's released on August 31.

4. enterusername

Now that the Epic has been released, can anyone verify my previous inquiries?

Thank you.

5. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Going to move this to the Epic forum so that one of the owners can help you out.

shp13 and enterusername like this.
  6. enterusername

If anyone has information, I would really appreciate it.

7. BigD562

BigD562 Well-Known Member

1. It has a date stamp. I don't see a time stamp. Though you can probably get an App with the option to time stamp.
    2. ShootMe App works on the Epic without the need of being rooted. So hopefully when 2.2 comes out that doesn't get patched.
    3. I have set up multiple Emails without problem, but only one is EAS account from work, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have any problem setting up more then one account.
    4. Not sure if you can, but I'm sure there's an App for it. There's millions of calendar apps.
    5. Most likely an app for it.
    6. There's an app for it.
    7. See #6.
    8. I haven't tried it, but I don't think it will strip the attachment. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    9. I think the only cap is from the email service itself.
    10. Epic will play WAV formats so I'm sure it should be fine.

enterusername likes this.
  8. shp13

shp13 Member

Text messages do have time and date stamps. But silly problem re the default calendar in the Epic apparently not changable and it doesn't sync w/ google calendars......

Seems pretty darn basic to me, but have only found complaints even dating back to last year for other Android phones. Haven't found a solution yet.

Again, seems pretty darn basic to be able to change the phone's default calendar to a user created calendar, or as the poor alternative, at least having the default sync w/ google calendars.

This could become a deal breaker for me keeping the phone. all is for the fun and games it seems and these developers are blowing off the fundamental uses for PDAs! (I am ditching a Blackberry since it messed up my calendars big time. too bad Palm didn't do a better job in the switch from PDA to smart phone........miss my old Palm features!)