Devour with Android 2.1?Support

Last Updated:

1. CrimsonApostle

CrimsonApostle Member This Topic's Starter

I just found out about the Devour, and it looks VERY interesting to me.

Looking on VZW's web pages, they say it comes with Android 1.6. Is this a problem? I read reviews on it and many people liked the apps etc and did not complain about 1.6.

Is it possible to update to 2.1 yet? Desirable?

Advertisement
  2. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

I talked with Motorola and they said they were working on 2.1 and to expect it within the next few months.

1.6 has never been a problem for me. Everything runs fine, google maps works fantabulously.

3. phirefaux

phirefaux Well-Known Member

that would be soo cool, this is an awesoime phone anyway i would def reccomend but if they do update to 2.1!!! Omg!

4. SourPatchKid

SourPatchKid Well-Known Member

When I went in yesterday the service rep said they expect 2.1 to be released very shortly.

5. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

Coming from an Eris owner who was told in November that 2.1 would be released within a few weeks.... don't believe what the Verizon salesman tells you.

For the record, the Eris still doesn't have 2.1 officially. Motoblur means that you won't get an updated OS until Motorola finishes tweaking it. Does any phone exist with Motoblur 2.1 yet? If not, then I would assume that it is still in development, and you will have awhile to wait before Verizon is satisfied that it is stable enough for an OTA release.

There aren't too many apps that won't run in 1.6, so you probably aren't missing out on too much. However, 2.1 has been shown to run faster than the older versions of android. So I would at least expect a decent speed/reliability boost.

6. jradicle11

The highest version MOTOBLUR operates with is android 1.6. I asked someone who was one of the people who worked with the creation of the Devour and they said within the next 1-3 months, I still find that doubtful though.

I read that MOTOBLUR was combining with HTC Sense, though I'm not sure if that was true or not. If that happens, MOTOBLUR will probably never go past v1.6 and it'll just switch to Sense.

7. gcastilloo

gcastilloo Member

I don't know about Verizon's stand but Motorola's website says it will have the update to 2.1 shortly (a few months). Even without that update the Devour is a very nice phone. I struggled with decision of Droid vs Devour. Got the Devour and wanted to trade for Droid but have to say I really like the Devour with Motoblur.

8. CrimsonApostle

CrimsonApostle Member This Topic's Starter

It is my understanding that with Android 1.6 you are limited to only one gmail account for email and calendars. Is this true? For me, that would be a big limitation.

9. jradicle11

I have two email accounts linked to my phone, but one is comcast and one is aim. So, I guess I'm not sure if you can only link to gmail accounts.

10. lesistheman

lesistheman New Member

I saw a video on youtube wherin some said that was the case.