• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [devs pls] LG Ally vs LG Shine Plus Kernels

cbstryker

Dec 7, 2010
This is mostly to the devs.

I want to port cyanogenmod to my wife's LG Shine Plus. The LG build of Android for that phone is a joke.

What I want to know is, if anyone knows, what are the exact differences between the Ally and Shine Plus. I want to know if it's feasable to take a ROM for the Ally build off of CyanogenMod and just change the few files like drivers and whatever else that's different instead of starting from scratch with a base CyanogenMod build.

From what I understand the phones are almost identical with only a couple things different.

If anyone can help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.

Their is a LG Shine Plus section at Android Forums at http://androidforums.com/lg-shine-plus/ where you might get a faster answer to your question. Their is some work being done on Shine Plus ROM's it seems http://androidforums.com/shine-all-things-root/231498-custom-roms-shine-plus-finally-here.html

I know about that sub-forum and I know about that thread, as I am one of the contributors.

I purposely posted this thread here since there are far more devs for the Ally than for the Shine Plus and far more (as in more than 0) custom ROMs for the Ally also, and I wanted to get input from the Ally devs.

Upvote 0
This is mostly to the devs.

I want to port cyanogenmod to my wife's LG Shine Plus. The LG build of Android for that phone is a joke.

What I want to know is, if anyone knows, what are the exact differences between the Ally and Shine Plus. I want to know if it's feasable to take a ROM for the Ally build off of CyanogenMod and just change the few files like drivers and whatever else that's different instead of starting from scratch with a base CyanogenMod build.

From what I understand the phones are almost identical with only a couple things different.

If anyone can help me out with this I'd really appreciate it.

Try asking the developer of the ROM before messing with his source or anything. If you had done that, you'd probably have your answer anyways.

Upvote 0
I believe this has been discussed in the past, and from what I can recall, the Shine Plus has more memory, and possibly a different screen and camera. Ally Roms will NOT work on the shine plus as well.

I know the memory is different, I was just hoping someone had a comprehensive list on all the differences.

And I know Ally ROMs won't work. I stated that in my first post, but since they are very similar, I'm hoping I can use one of the ROMs that already exist and only make the necessary changes as opposed to working from scratch from the AOSP or CyanogenMod source.

Edit: Actually, do you know if it was on this site that it was discussed or another site?

Upvote 0
LG Ally Roms won't work on the Shine, even after modding. You have to have the device config files when building a rom from source for the rom to work. So editing files after it's built will not work. This is why when you port, say Cyanamod to a Phone, you use an AOSP ROm of the same Android Version for the phone in question when porting A rom.

The only chance is if an AOSP 2.2 Rom for The shine is used to port CM6 to the SHine.

Sorry for the news, but thats how it is. It took months and months to get custom Roms on the ally, and even longer for a working AOSP build.

Upvote 0
LG Ally Roms won't work on the Shine, even after modding. You have to have the device config files when building a rom from source for the rom to work. So editing files after it's built will not work. This is why when you port, say Cyanamod to a Phone, you use an AOSP ROm of the same Android Version for the phone in question when porting A rom.

The only chance is if an AOSP 2.2 Rom for The shine is used to port CM6 to the SHine.

Sorry for the news, but thats how it is. It took months and months to get custom Roms on the ally, and even longer for a working AOSP build.

I am aware of all that, but as I mentioned I was going to use the source from one of the Ally ROMs and make the NECESSARY changes. I'm not talking about "mudding" around here. But in any case, my first objective was to make a custom, albeit 99.9% stock, kernel for overclocking.

Also, does anyone know if or where the source for the Shine Plus build is available? It's my understanding that any manufacturer MUST release the source code of any Linux build as indicated by the GPL license.

Upvote 0
I am aware of all that, but as I mentioned I was going to use the source from one of the Ally ROMs and make the NECESSARY changes. I'm not talking about "mudding" around here. But in any case, my first objective was to make a custom, albeit 99.9% stock, kernel for overclocking.

Also, does anyone know if or where the source for the Shine Plus build is available? It's my understanding that any manufacturer MUST release the source code of any Linux build as indicated by the GPL license.

ONCE again, check the LG Shine forums, but it should be located in the LG Developer's website.

And why would you use an ally source, to get a cyanamod source? just use the shine source....or sell the phone and get an ally or dinc...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones