• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DHD is out to get me :(

Had a quick look around and i cant find these (2) issues anywhere so if they are already out there then i apologise.

So need some help from you knowledgable lot. Couple of issues on my DHD. Bit of background first, had the DHD for about a month maybe two (on orange, locked :(). Bloatware was getting right on my nerves so i goldcarded her and put TC's stock gingerbread update on. Problems have started there. First problem is WiFi vs 3G internet. Sitting at home with Wireless router working perfectlyand Wifi enabled on my phone. All of a sudden wifi drops off and it switches to 3G, not a problem carried on browsing the web to notice that WiFi is connected again but its still downloading data through my 3G connection, both the wifi and the 3G symbols were at the top of the screen. So i turned off the mobile internet on the phone to get it to use wifi only but it refused. It will not let me turn it off at all. Considering theres still 2 weeks til my billing date and im 80% through my data allowance im not happy cos i usually turn off mobile internet to stop it downloading thus regaining some kind of control over my data usage. Anyone else come across this before and have any idea how i might fix it?

Second issue is turning the phone on first thing in the morning. So i go to bed and turn it off. Wake up in the morning and turn it on and it wont turn on, ive got to press the power button a few times or keep hold of the power butoon for up to a minute to get it to turn on. Really annoying. Also ive got silent boot installed to stop it making that stupid noise when it turns on and yet every time i turn it on it still makes the noise. I know it only works if the phone has been powered down correctly (which it has) so no idea what the power problem is.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks all,

Si

Had a quick look around and i cant find these (2) issues anywhere so if they are already out there then i apologise.

So need some help from you knowledgable lot. Couple of issues on my DHD. Bit of background first, had the DHD for about a month maybe two (on orange, locked :(). Bloatware was getting right on my nerves so i goldcarded her and put TC's stock gingerbread update on. Problems have started there. First problem is WiFi vs 3G internet. Sitting at home with Wireless router working perfectlyand Wifi enabled on my phone. All of a sudden wifi drops off and it switches to 3G, not a problem carried on browsing the web to notice that WiFi is connected again but its still downloading data through my 3G connection, both the wifi and the 3G symbols were at the top of the screen. So i turned off the mobile internet on the phone to get it to use wifi only but it refused. It will not let me turn it off at all. Considering theres still 2 weeks til my billing date and im 80% through my data allowance im not happy cos i usually turn off mobile internet to stop it downloading thus regaining some kind of control over my data usage. Anyone else come across this before and have any idea how i might fix it?

Second issue is turning the phone on first thing in the morning. So i go to bed and turn it off. Wake up in the morning and turn it on and it wont turn on, ive got to press the power button a few times or keep hold of the power butoon for up to a minute to get it to turn on. Really annoying. Also ive got silent boot installed to stop it making that stupid noise when it turns on and yet every time i turn it on it still makes the noise. I know it only works if the phone has been powered down correctly (which it has) so no idea what the power problem is.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks all,

Si

The wifi issue is a frequent one since Gingerbread and is something to do with the sensors the wifi detection sensor is pre-set at. When the sensor detects the signal is below a certain level it drops it and switches to an alternate then picks it back up again when the signal boosts again. There are 2 different solutions as far as I understand:
1) set a static IP address on your phone
2) use a wifi app like Allshare

If you search in the forum you should find lots of posts on this issue and the solutions.

Upvote 0

Any help appreciated,

Thanks all,

Si

The WiFi/3G switching thing is a problem I have, installed Tasker the other day to switch off mobile data when it connects to my home WiFi - seems to have solved that problem. That said, if you've rooted yours I believe the ROM you have got should have a better WiFi/3G threshold in it so should not really have the problem.. Still worth trying Tasker, though.

Al. (Has read 2 threads in the last 2 mins and recommended Tasker on both!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones