Dialer wakelock after 4.4.4General

1. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I've never seen 'dialer' in settings/battery before and now, after 4.4.4, it's causing a wakelock during calls. It's using a good chunk of battery.

I'm not rooted and have not done a factory reset. I don't want to do a factory reset, especially if others are having the same issue.

I've cleared data, cache, force stopped, rebooted and it comes back.

Edit: I don't use the stock dialer but don't think that matters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
  2. edcooper714

edcooper714 Well-Known Member

I checked and don't see that in Settings/battery.
    I'm on stock dialer with 4.4.4
    Clementine_3 likes this.
  3. Clementine_3

Thanks for checking.

It wasn't doing it when I first installed 4.4.4, it started yesterday. No new nothing added or changed, odd.
  4. Clementine_3

Well, I just did 2 factory resets and still have the friggin' wakelock for the dialer. So annoyed right now.

The first one I did I had Google backing everything up so it went pretty quickly (apps installed automatically etc.), got the wakelock issue right off the bat. Stopped having Google backup thinking maybe it was something there and did another reset, manually installed needed apps only. Wakelock still happening. SOB.

I'm going to call Motorola I guess. SOB.
  5. Clementine_3

OK, so here's what I've found. It only happens when I have the phone to my ear. If I use speakerphone I don't get the wakelock and it doesn't register on 'dialer'. If I hold the phone to my ear it does.

Proximity sensors somehow got messed up with the update? I haven't called Moto yet but will.

Anyone have any ideas about it though?
  6. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I'm not 100% sure I know what is meant by wake lock.

On the Droid Maxx there was shoddy support for the proximity sensor and I wanted it to turn the screen off when the sensor was covered and leave the screen on if the sensor was covered while I was making a call.

If you use Tasker ... the profile at ... tlaPocket - turn off in pocket (if call not in progress) ... does this exactly.

... Thom
  7. Clementine_3

What I mean by wakelock is that the dialer keeps the phone awake during a call, that's not supposed to happen (and never did before). It's using twice as much battery than it should.

I know that the dialer was updated with 4.4.4 and I believe that is the crux of my issue, it somehow now isn't reading the proximity sensor and 'disconnecting' as it should when the phone is to my ear.

I do use tasker and will look at the link but somehow don't think that's going to help. Thanks.
  8. Thom

Very close to the problem I was having with the Droid Maxx. Try ...

Profile: tlaOff
    State: Proximity Sensor
    Enter: Anon
    A1: System Lock

... Thom
  9. Clementine_3

I added/tried that profile, it's not doing what I need.

I still get the wakelock for 'dialer' and the screen doesn't come back on to end the call, I have to hit the power button to wake it.

Thanks for trying though!
  10. Thom

In Tasker turning the display back on is only supported on some devices. My Droid Maxx is not one of them. If it is supported on your phone ... add an exit task.

... Thom
  11. Clementine_3

Yeah, I'm not rooted. It still didn't solve the dialer/keep awake issue anyway, unless that would be part of needing to be rooted (which isn't happening).
  12. Thom

You caught me in the middle of an edit. You could try the exit task of Display | Turn On if it is supported on your phone.

... Thom
  13. Clementine_3

Thanks.
    I may give that a shot later but, as I said, it still did nothing to stop the dialer from staying awake during a call when the phone is at my ear.
    I don't have an issue with the display, it's the dialer thing.
  14. Clementine_3

Thom, I just figured out that we are probably talking about 2 different things. I am not talking about the display or the actual dial pad. See the screen print at the top. What is happening is that there is a 'dialer' running and reporting a keep awake time in my battery stats. That only happens when the phone is to my ear. It's not a display thing but a system thing.
  15. Thom

The profile you are using is ...

Profile: tlaOff

... and not ...

Profile: tlaPocket
    State: Not Call [ Type:Any Number:* ]

Correct?

... Thom
  16. Clementine_3

Yes, I used the top one.

Did you see my other post though?
  17. Thom

18. Clementine_3

Oh. Well. I may not have mentioned anywhere that I'm not using the stock dialer. I use, and have been for years with no trouble, Dialer One.

Can you disable the stock dialer and still use Pixel or does it still have to be running? It still has to be running w/Dialer One (so I guess, at some level, I am using the stock dialer. lol).
  19. Thom

I think they are all using the stock dialer and are manipulating it.

I suggest you install it, re-boot, and see what information is presented.

All I can say is that I use Pixel Phone Pro and it does everything I want.

If it is no improvement ... uninstall it.

... Thom
  20. Clementine_3

It's just broken.

I uninstalled Dialer One (just to be sure it wasn't that) and tried Rocket Dial (because I already used my free Pixel), no change. Uninstalled that and just tried the stock dialer, no change. Reinstalled Dialer One and have come to the above conclusion, it's just broken.

Thanks for giving an old fashioned good college try Thom :)
  21. Clementine_3

Just an update in case anyone else runs into this. I called Moto and there is no fix, "just force stop dialer after each call to not have battery drain". Ugh. "Please rest assured that it will be fixed in a future update." Umm. OK.
    RobertB-DC and Grey1001 like this.