Dialing Lag

Last Updated:

1. anacrusis

anacrusis Active Member This Topic's Starter

My wife and I both have Hero's and after the recent updates our phone takes forever to dial a number. It was bad before going to 2.1 but now it's terrible. It takes about 10 to 15 seconds to actually dial out.

Any suggestions? We both have Google Voice but it dials slow regardless if we're using Google Voice or the standard dialer.

Advertisement
  2. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Well if you read a little in some of the threads , it is the main issue with the Hero on the latest 2.1 update, now some swear that the recent patch .6 update has solved that issue a little, the jury is still out on that, I myself have just updated to the .6 last night so I will refrain from any comment on the update until I have had a couple of days of making some calls, and then I will report back on that, but in the meantime, you can do a couple of thing, you can go into your setting, and update your profile, once done, then update your PRL, (latest is 60666) once both are done, then reboot your phone, and see if that helps a little. And everytime you see it lagging a little a reboot usually helps, another thing to do is if you download any new apps from the market, once you download then I would suggest a reboot right after, good luck and report back with your progress

3. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Do the .6 firmware patch, it really does help. I had the lag before I did it, and its NOT as bad. Settings>About phone>system updates>HTC Software update.

4. skoo9382

skoo9382 Well-Known Member

would updating the HTC Software change anything if my phone is rooted? the dialer lag is unbearable at times. =(

5. DonB

LOL if you read my post it says I did the update last night but the jury was still out, I would need a couple of days to see before I make an opinion on it
    , but as a small note I still have a bit of a lag today but not as bad, if it keeps up like this then I am rooting

6. DonB

WOW you are rooted and you have phone lag, that is not good, glad you mentioned this, I was going to root I guess I may still wait

7. skoo9382

skoo9382 Well-Known Member

just because you root your phone doesn't mean that it's a DIFFERENT phone. I always tell people that rooting your phone has A LOT of upsides. it is faster, and you can customize your phone more than you can imagine. A lot of the lag has to deal with just the pure lack of hardware in this phone. But i thought the dialer lag would be another issue.

IMHO, rooting this phone was one the best choices i've made with this phone. Battery life is great, wireless tethering is great, and overall feel of the phone IS faster, just not as fast as we may want it to be.

8. bhaktasa

bhaktasa Active Member

From my experience, the latest update DID NOT help the call lag. It is really annoying that I can't even call someone without having to wait 5 to 15 seconds and the same thing happens when I hangup the call. It takes forever to hang up the call, another 5 to 10 seconds in which I'll do things by accident because of slow updating call history, etc.

I think everyone talking about the update helping the issue are just wishful thinkers.

I wish there was a fix for this. It's my #1 problem with getting 2.1.

9. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

+1 for this. The dialer lag is the #1 problem with 2.1 for me as well. In fact, it's really my only problem with 2.1.

10. DonB

Hard to believe they have not resolved this issue, just amazes me!!

11. dominicanyor

dominicanyor Well-Known Member

two question, how do i use google voice? and the app talk?

12. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

For Gvoice you have to sign up and then get an invite. For Gtalk, just run the app. It's just and app to run the chat that gmail has without being in your gmail acct.

13. dominicanyor

thanks, how about TALK?

14. DonB

Talk is simple sign in and IM your contacts you have added in talk, you can also add AOL, MSN etc.. contacts also

dominicanyor likes this.
  15. anacrusis

anacrusis Active Member This Topic's Starter

Did the updates and reboot. Perhaps a little less lag but still unacceptable.

16. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Dailer lag sucks. Takes way to long.

17. matty032

matty032 Well-Known Member

After I installed the .6 update the lag has mostly disappeared. But, when I do rarely have it, I'm usually in a poor signal area.

18. bhaktasa

bhaktasa Active Member

Updating your PRL and profile doesn't help the Dialer Lag either.

19. DonB

Read below deleted this post as it was double posted

20. dominicanyor

so if i dont use it its ok to logg off?

21. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member

gotta say, this lag with the dialer (or really any task associated with the phone part of the phone) is just intolerable. Answering (if you can get to the phone during that half-second window you have), hanging up, any normal phone function just takes way too long. It can actually be a bit embarrassing -- I was with someone and had to call a mutual friend, and like a minute and a half later, the call goes through. *Sigh.

I love Android and all, but the hardware manufacturers need to get this straightened out, pronto. I love the ability to do all this cool stuff, but it's first and foremost my phone, and it needs to be able to perform phone functions without a problem.

22. DonB

dominicanyor likes this.
  23. DonB

OK, an update, still have the call lag, and now I have other issues since the latest .6 update, when I am on a call and I get a call waiting I do not see who is calling me, if I flash over to them then I loose the original call, and I have been missing more calls than ever now, I don't even get the call period, I will be re flashing my phone back to the original 2.1 .5 update again, and if I still have an issue after that then it is going back to Sprint, this is crazy not being able proper calls.

24. bhaktasa

bhaktasa Active Member

+1, totally agree... so what to do now?

25. acedoy

acedoy New Member

I have a rooted hero and run Damage Control 2.08.1 with the 710 OC kernel. I also flashed blackdialer. Prior to the OC kernel I would get the occasional dialer lag. Now I have no complaints.