• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dialler does not find all numbers

TobesEtc

Android Enthusiast
May 12, 2010
London, UK
The Dialler in ICS 4.0.3 does not seem to find all the numbers. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

If I have a contact with both a HOME & MOBILE number, when I use the DIALLER to search for the number by typing the first few digits of his name, it finds the HOME number but not the MOBILE number.

Why is that?

EDIT: I did try to attach some pics to demonstrate this but the attachment seems not to have come through.

There is your problem. You are typing the first few letters of the contacts name. This will only show the first or default number associated to the contact.

If you type in the first few numbers of the contacts mobile number, i would say the number would get displayed.

Poor i know, but this is how it was designed to work it seems, so we'll have to live with it unless an update to the phone.apk app is in the pipeline.

Upvote 0
So it does sound like my phone does not work like yours. As I start to type the name, it list the number of name-matches on the right, but when it gets to 1, or I select one, it only gives me the option of their first number.

Does anyone else get this issue? Main problem for me is that the mate I call most has a home and mobile number, but it only ever offers me his home number...and I usually want his mobile.
Well technically it should work... but seeing it didnt, and you want the mobile instead of the home phone, try this:

Open the contacts app. Scroll to the contact concerned

Upvote 0
When you dial a person's name... a contact list will immediately appear in between the dialling number display and the dial keys.

on the right side of that contact list will be a number. that number represents the number of contacts that you have in your phone that have the same name you are looking for... tapping that number shows those contacts as a list - select the person whom you want to call.

depending on how many numbers that contact has, it will show you a complete listing and the description of the number to call; home, mobile, other, etc. (only if the person has more than 1 number; otherwise it will begin dialling.)

hope that helps.

Upvote 0
So it does sound like my phone does not work like yours. As I start to type the name, it list the number of name-matches on the right, but when it gets to 1, or I select one, it only gives me the option of their first number.

Does anyone else get this issue? Main problem for me is that the mate I call most has a home and mobile number, but it only ever offers me his home number...and I usually want his mobile.
Well technically it should work... but seeing it didnt, and you want the mobile instead of the home phone, try this:

Open the contacts app. Scroll to the contact concerned

Upvote 0

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones