• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dialling contacts?

Foxspeed

Android Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2010
I think I maybe missing something when dialling a contact using the number pad. If I use the letters on the keypad to auto select a persons number from my contact list, it does not appear for whatever reason.
For example, if I wanted to call 'john', I would press 5 for J, 6 for O, 4 for H & 6 again for N. Normally the contact's name should appear before I finish typing the full name.
Any ideas why this isn't working on my Nexus?

Yes. That's simply not how it works on the GN. There are so many ways to dial a contact, I'm not sure why you would choose that method... unless you are coming from a regular phone and its just habit. To search from the dial pad, tap the magnifying glass at the bottom left and use the keyboard that pops up. Or, Instead of using the dialpad, just start typing in the search box. You can dial from there directly and skip the dialer altogether.

If you really like that method however, there are 3rd party dialer apps that allow alphabet dialing from the keypad. Do a search for dialer app as I've seen a few mentioned here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones