Dialling telephone numbers in emails?General

Last Updated:

1. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It's been irritating me of late that it seems almost impossible to dial a number directly having received it via email (in a text message it's dial-able), the only real option appears to be pressing the number, copying it to clipboard, going to people and creating a new contact with the pasted number.

Please tell me this isn't the best way to work with telephone numbers in an email? It seems impossible to paste a number from your clipboard directly into the Phone application.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. The Hoff

54 views and no response, is that a "no you can't do that on your flagship HTC phone"?

3. anandv76

anandv76 Well-Known Member

i tried everything i could think of but funnily couldnt come up with a far better solution than yours...

4. THE ANDROID

THE ANDROID Well-Known Member

It's things like these make the iPhone 4 the best phone right now. You see an iPhone 4 could have dialed the number from any app.

5. The Hoff

Cheers for trying.

THE ANDROID, is it possible for you to post without mentioning the iP4? As an iPhone user myself I'm fully aware just how long it took Apple to integrate this into iOS, try 2 years.

Back on topic.

6. redrox2110

redrox2110 Active Member

According to the manual, pg 39, it should work almost the same as in a text msg, but haven't tried it myself...

Calling a phone number in an email
    1. From the Home screen, tap > Mail.
    2. In your email account’s inbox, tap the email that contains the phone number to call.
    3. In the email body, tap the phone number. A selection menu then pops up and the phone number is highlighted.
      The phone will recognize a number as a phone number if the number has a minimum of 5 digits and have at least one of the following:
      Numbers starting with a plus sign (+). For example, +1-987-654-32 1 or +198765432 1.
      Numbers starting with an area or country code enclosed in a parenthesis. For example, (02)98765432 1 or (02)987-654-32 1.
      Numbers separated by dashes. For example, (02)-987-654-32 1 or 0987-654-32 1.
    4. Tap Call.
    5. When the phone dialer screen opens with the phone number already entered, tap Call.

Going to email myself a phone number and see if it actually works :D

anandv76 and The Hoff like this.
  7. redrox2110

redrox2110 Active Member

Works flawlessly, exactly as described. But I guess it will depend on whether the number is in the correct format.

8. MSPreacher

MSPreacher Well-Known Member

They should just allow you to paste the contents of your clipboard into the bit where you dial numbers. Then you'd just copy the number from the email, and paste it into the phone bit.

9. anandv76

hmm..you are using the email app arent you? nothing like that shows up on my dhd! it allows me to copy the "text" and not paste it into the phone app :confused:

10. The Hoff

Aha... Solved. Thanks very much!

The key here is to literally tap the phone number, and not to long press (as I, and probably a lot of other people have been doing).

Tapping gives you:
    Copy/Call/SMS/Save To

Long Press gives you:
    Copy/Quick Lookup/Share Via

Perfect, now I'm much happier... been a complete PITA as I receive a lot of numbers this way.

Thanks again, and hope this helps others :)

11. anandv76

ahh, got it! you learn every day dont you...

12. tuttiquanti

tuttiquanti New Member

The Gmail client on my HTC Desire HD seems less finicky than the HTC e-mail about formats and will let me dial almost any phone number contained in an e-mail.

However, I have not found a way to dial a number on a web page other than the tedious way describer above: copy, create contact, dial contact.

Has anyone found a workaround?

13. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Can you copy the number, go to the dialler and long press on it and paste the number?

It works for me, but I'm using a different dialler app.

14. paulrh

paulrh Well-Known Member

I use Dolphin browser and Go Contacts - select the number in the browser and dial that number is one of the pop-up options. No need to save a contact.

15. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Oh really? I don't get the option when I use Dolphin with numbers formatted like this:

0123 456 7890

16. paulrh

paulrh Well-Known Member

Yes really.

In Dolphin I simply touch the number and a pop-up appears giving me the option to Copy, Call, SMS or Save to. Sliders also appear allowing me to select extra numbers if the auto selection was not complete.

I also use K-9 email and touching on either of the numbers you used takes them straight to my dialer app automatically removing the spaces on the lower number.