• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help dialpad doesn't work during call

just started having the same problem today. restart, force stop of dialer and dialer storage did not work for me.
annoying.

One thing I noticed is that when the problem first started the screen would turn off right when I made the call. Now after getting rid of some apps and force stopping the dialer and dialer storage, it stays awake. still not working though.

Upvote 0
I think I found out why the dialpad is not working:

It's because of broken or wrongly configured proximity sensors. I noticed that my sensor is always 1, so the phone thinks that it's always against my ear.
However I found out that this is not entirely true. When I put the proximity sensor near to a 40W lightbulp it changes to 0. And when i do this the dialpad starts working. When i take it more than 10cm away from the bulp the sensor goes back to 1 and the dialpad stops working.

So clearly my proximity sensor sensitivity is totally wrong and this is causing the problem.

You can try this yourself by downloading "sensor test" application or "sensor list" application. The sensor to watch is GP2AP.

Let me know how well your sensor is working (How close to an lightbulp does the phone be for the sensor to become 0)

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust proximity sensor sensitivity?

Edit: I believe that when you force stop dialer storage, the sensor initializes to 0. And it does not change to 1 before you put it close to a lightbulp and take it away. This might be the reason why the dialpad is working for some time after stopping dialer storage. The first time you put your phone close to a bright light the dialpad stops working again.

Upvote 0
I'd give Ryko's fix another try, it seems to be the dialer storage that you have to force close. I'm still on H6 (thanks Samsung) and am getting the problem periodically. Force close of the dialler and dialler storage apps has resolved it every time.

Dom
how do u force closure? cant find that option. all i can do is choose dialer storage and while im in i cant do anything like this.

Upvote 0
I'm having some trouble with mine too.. can anyone suggest a fix? ;)

IMG_8177.JPG

Upvote 0
reading through the different posts here is what i did.
i am new to the galaxy so didnt want to mess with K4/II5.
i did manage to figure the problem has to do with the proimity sensor that detects that i am geting near the phone but doesnt change when i get away again.
setting the galaxy next to a strong light when the sensor recognizes you as near to it, will change the sensor back to it normal stage. you can then use the dialped when in call.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones