dialpad issuesSupport

Last Updated:

1. krokill

krokill New Member This Topic's Starter

just got the droid: any updates on the following issues?

dialpad during calls: i dictate on the phone and need to enter an ID#. the dialpad often disappears after i press a number or two.... very frustrating. i've tried holding it vertical, horizontal, above my head, shaking it - eventually i can get all 4#s of my ID in but it is VERY frustrating.

2nd: after i dictate the letter, the phone appears dead. i have to press the power key to get a screen again? why? and why does it NOT do this when I have a regular conversation with another person?

thanks in advance for any responses!

Advertisement
  2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Are you dialing the same ID with the same phone number each time? If so, you can add a few commas after the phone number, then your ID and it will dial it that way when you select the contact. It would look like this: 512-555-1212,,1234 Play around with the commas, you may need one or three depending. It comes in very handy!
    I have to dial into meetings and there are a LOT of stupid numbers to press, I just have the phone do it. Same for voicemail :)

3. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Try changing your screen time-out to a longer to a longer period, under Settings. you can still blank the screen whenever you want to via a quick press on the power button.

4. gadget

gadget Active Member

what is needed is a new type of dial pad.
    Example: i am talking and of course the phone is against my ear...The computerized operator says press this ...then that....I take the phone away from my ear to hit the numbers the computer asked me for...and the dial pad is gone ....in the meantime..while i am tapping a black screen so i can re open it and find the spot to tap to open the dial pad...the computerized person is not waiting for me. When i check my voice mail i have to go through this..
    I would like the dial pad to be there all the time while i am using the phone. I hope i can find an app to do this.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I don't think there are any apps to do that as it is using the proximity sensor in the top right corner near the earpiece. The best thing to do is keep the phone away from any objects as to not activate it.

6. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm.....my phone lights up almost as soon as I take it away from my face......I might need to press the dialpad button to get the numbers back....but I don't have to fiddle with it to get the screen back on

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Either some people are just not holding the DROID properly (covering the sensor with their thumb), or some phones have a proximity sensor bug. But my phone has NONE of these issues. Odd.

8. Bogie

Bogie Well-Known Member

I have had this problem with the dialpad as well, usually when dialing voice mail.

I'll bring up the dialpad and press the first number of my code and the screen immediately goes black. I have to mess with it to get the dialpad to come back and from then on if I press a button the screen goes black again without actually registering the keystroke.

It is very frustrating. I am not sure what is causing it because it is intermittent and many times it works just fine.

9. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

While you are dialing someone....try bringing your finger over the proximity sensor. It is between the 'M' of the Motorola on the front top of the screen and the left edge.

You should be able to trigger the screen on/off just by moving your finger over it.

If it doesn't work.......or is flaky....you've got a problem....or possibly an app is interfering.

10. Bogie

Bogie Well-Known Member

I can't remember if it happend before or after I installed Home++ so I might start uninstalling apps to see if it replicates or not. I just hate to lose settings. :)

11. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

It has to be some app interfering with it, or a bad sensor? I just unlocked the phone, pressed the phone icon and dialed my voice mail with the voice mail button on the dialpad. Put the phone to my ear (in blanked out) when it said to enter password, I moved it away from my ear and hit the dialpad button. Entered all the digits, no problem. Put the phone to my ear, and away several times while listening to a message, and the dialpad digits were still on the screen each time I moved the phone off my ear. -droidosis-

12. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

For VoiceMail, go to Settings --> Call Settings --> Voicemail Settings --> *86,,[Your 4 character PIN]#

So if your PIN is 1111, your's would look like this...

*86,,1111#

Using this, the phone will automatically enter your PIN when dialing your voicemail.

As for the screen going off, it's most likely an issue with the light sensors. Are you holding your fingers over the "blinky" LED at the top, or the camera on the back?

13. eclipsed4utoo

The light sensor on the front is where the small LED is that blinks when you have notifications.

14. droidosis

eclipsed4utoo-> Don't mean to change the thread topic, but I have a question about the MotoTorch LED (I have installed) How come every time I pull up ATK, I see MotoTorch running again, even after I close it. Does the Widget have to keep running in memory in order to come on and off when it's pressed? Is there a way to do the same LED On/Off widget function without MotoTorch respawning? It doesn't seem to be interfering with anything, I just feel uneasy about what it may be doing when I'm not using it. -droidosis-

15. eclipsed4utoo

It is the widget checking every so often to see if it needs to change it's icon if you have turned on the LEDs from the application. I believe I have re-architected the application to where the widget doesn't need to do the polling, but I simply forgot to remove the polling in my last update. It will be part of my next update.

16. droidosis

Cool! -droidosis-

17. gadget

gadget Active Member

I have the samsung moment...i think the dial pads are the same ( i think) i do not think it has anything to do with the light sensors...from all the threads i have been reading on different forums...it appears to be the way the dial pad program was designed. It just goes black and then you cannot see any dial pad at all...and when the computerized operator asks to press all sorts of numbers..you have to fiddle around to get the darn dial pad back up and rush to press numbers all the while this computerized person is telling me the next step to do and i have to do it all over again..this is just annoying. Someone ( if not google ) will come out with a replacement dial pad app. ( i hope ) Also there were times when my cheek turned on the speaker phone. I did not like that. thank you all for all the great info...really has helped me.

18. eclipsed4utoo

on the DROID, it's almost impossible to turn the speakerphone on with your face...at least when holding the phone normally to take a call. Once it gets close to your face, the screen goes black.

19. metoo

metoo New Member

Thanks so much...really helps! My screen was going off too.

20. Eusibius2

Eusibius2 Well-Known Member

If you replace *86 with your phone number, it will be a mobile to mobile call (ie: free) and not count toward your minutes. Just my 2c for the day!

21. Bogie

Bogie Well-Known Member

Old news but I found the solution to the problem on my phone. After looking at a picture of the sensors I realized that my left-handed method of hitting buttons was tripping a sensor and causing the dialpad to act flaky. Once I learned the himalayan secret to not covering the sensor my dialpad has worked great.

22. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

sounds like a job for Screebl?

23. JimInNorthwest

JimInNorthwest New Member

I have an LG Vortex, and just a few days ago, I noticed that the dialpad goes away during calls now, and I have to bring it back up. I've called Verizon a few times about this, and they've said that it's in the design of the phone. If that's the case, why hasn't it done this from day one?