• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Diary of a "Like new" customer

goldrush28

Jan 2, 2010
Connecticut
I'm starting a new thread on this one because I don't know where it's going to end. Here's a review of what's happened so far. My original post:

"Round 1"--My 6 month old Droid quit yesterday. I went to a Verizon service center near me and they searched within 30 miles for a replacement. None to be found. They said they would have one sent to me from "the warehouse", and I'd have it in 48 hours. That's acceptable, especially considering the fact that I didn't have insurance on it. My contacts and calender will come over from my GMail account, but I'll have to load about 50 apps and I assume any special settings I'll have to re-do. If the "Factory like new rebuilt" isn't as close to new as possible, it will go back and back and back until I get one as mint as mine was. I'm thinking positive and will let you know how I make out. "Round 2"--O.K. so far so good. I got home last night and had the note on the door that Fedex didn't leave it (no signature). Drove to Fedex location (10-12) miles away and picked up "like new" phone. I was impressed with the physical appearance. It looked truly "like new''. Called to activate phone-no problem. Did my *228 to program-no problem. I make my test call and the problems start. With the volume all the way up I can barely here the voice. When I take the phone away from my ear the display goes dark.In order to see the display to end the call I need to slide open the keyboard. So, no volume and no display when calls end. On the pnone with 2 levels of tech support for 1 1/2 hours and no luck. Said they would send out another "like new' to me but with the holiday I wouldn't get it until Tuesday. After some discussion they agreed to send it overnight Saturday delivery to my office by noontime. Believe it or not I'm not upset. Things happen. They are doing all the right things to correct my problem. By the way, all my contacts,photos,and favorites came over as I'd hoped. However only 1/2 my apps came over. That may be because I didn't give them enough time to. I'll keep you posted. Stay tuned for Round 3.

I've had the same exact problem with my refurb. I take the phone away from ear and it stays black; I have to open the phone to use the dialpad. It's weird it's an identical problem. I talked with Motorola support and the rep said this is how the phone's supposed to work...I'll be calling Verizon tonight about it.

Upvote 0
man, these boards just seem to be filled with like new, refurb horror stories.

imagine the cost VZW must be absorbing to deal with sending a bad phone over and over.. not to mention, the customers wasted time and hours.

I was thinking the same thing and I'm really grateful I haven't had to deal with anything like this yet.

It must still be cheaper than handing out new phones.

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing and I'm really grateful I haven't had to deal with anything like this yet.

It must still be cheaper than handing out new phones.

I was offered one because of some reception issues since 2.1 and they seem to just kind of offer it as the go to method... "replace the phone". I said NO way. My phone is fine, your reception is the issue (which we know to be partially true because people downgrading base band fix the 2.1 reception issue).

sure, it might be cheaper up front, but when you consider cost to ship 1, man power to talk to the user 2,3,4,5 times, ship another 2,3,4,5 times, the numbers have got to start getting skewed.

Upvote 0
I agree. Verizon told me that if it was up to them they'd do new phones. Unfortunately it's up to Motorola and they need to keep these "like news" in service. I'm sure some of them come back with ever so slight of a problem and they truly are "like new". Unfortunately some of them have problems that never get fixed and keep getting recycled from customer to customer. I'm still waiting for the start of Round 3. I got notification that it was shipped overnight Saturday delivery and I should have it by noon. Great weekend to all !!

Upvote 0
Hi there! I'm brand-new to the forum and a fairly-new droid user, so forgive me if this is info that everyone knew except me! I was often having the same problem with my NEW phone with the screen being black after taking it away from my ear for a phone call. A guy at a Verizon kiosk told me that the phones are made to go black when you have them to your ear so that it will lock things up while you are on a phone call. When you take the phone away from your ear, you have to be careful where your hand is placed because if the sensor thinks it is still at your ear, the phone will remain black. Ever since I kept my hand from near the top of the phone when taking it from my ear, and I have never had the problem again! ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones