1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Dictamus Envy - Desperately Need a Quality Dictation App (no voice-to-text required)

Last Updated:

1. SoonerLater

SoonerLater Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I need a decent voice dictation recording application that will run on my Droid-X. About the only thing I've found is a horrible app called Dictosyl by a French company caled Sylpheo. What I really want is an Android version of Dictamus for the iPhone/iPod Touch by Jotomi.

Dictamus has all of the features that make it perfect for lawyers, physicians and other executives who need to be able to dictate for someone else to transcribe. Dictamus has the ability easily pause, rewind and insert (destructive and non-destructive insertion). The resulting sound file can be sent via email, uploaded to a Dropbox.com account to an iDisk account, to an ftp server or to any of online transcription services (eg. SpeakWrite) It can send automatic email notifications to someone after an upload has been made. It can record continuously for more than 24 hours.

On a 5 star scale, I'd give Dictamus 6 stars. But it's not available for Android. And what I can find (using search terms "dictate," "dictation" and "recorder") for Android I wouldn't even give one star. Although I use SpeakWrite's transcription service occasionally, their mobile apps (for iPhone, for Android, for Blackberry) are just terrible -- and they make it very difficult to send the recording to anyone but their own service. I prefer to have my secretary transcribe most of my work. Although I like SpeakWrite's service, I only use them when my secretary is not available.

Does anyone know of a decent voice dictation app for Android?

Advertisement
  2. Jeff1868

Jeff1868 New Member

Right now the best recorder for the Android is SpeakWrite Recorder. I use it everyday and its easy to email your recorded job.

3. SoonerLater

Jeff1868,

What application does your secretary use to transcribe your recordings? I tried using the Speakwrite Android app, but the 3GP recordings it makes are not fully compliant with the 3GP standard. My secretary uses ExpressScribe (nch.com.au) for transcription, but it won't play the 3GP files that SpeakWrite creates.

I desperately need a dictation app for Android which lets you record, pause while recording, rewind to another location, begin dictating from that point... In other words, I need real, robust dictation tools. SpeakWrite could do that for me, but I don't want to be forced to use the SpeakWrite service to transcribe everything. (Note: I use their service a lot; I just don't want to use it exclusively). Without a transcription tool that can play the files that SpeakWrite creates, I can't use SpeakWrite.

Any suggestions?

4. SoonerLater

Boris,

It's a good first effort, but saving in WAV is a problem. If you can't record in MP3 (or M4A, AAC, etc.), then you at least need to offer the option of automatic post-processing conversion to a compressed format before uploading. A five minute dictation file in WAV is huge compared to an MP3 or other compressed format. I don't want to waste bandwidth or time uploading a file that is 20x larger than it needs to be.

Gray

5. SoonerLater

Boris,

Another shortcoming is that it's not using my A2DP Bluetooth headset as the mic input, although it does use it for playback. There's no option to use bluetooth mic. That's a problem, because I like to dictate while driving, but don't want to have to hold the phone the entire time.

Gray

6. SoonerLater

FWIW...

...the maker of Dictamus (for iOS) has announced development of Dictamus for Android, which they hope to roll out in Feb. 2012.

build an Android version of Dictamus

7. TSUK

TSUK New Member

My company, Transcribe UK is an online transcription company and our clients are using the Dictamus app for the iPhone to dictate and send their dictation directly to our system. Looking forward to the android app from the makers of Dictamus.