Did a wipe - questions

Last Updated:

1. Langella7

Langella7 Active Member This Topic's Starter

well i decided to finally wipe my phone as its a known way to fix the picture message problem. I did a factory reset and was suprised to see that my phone was still rooted and had the 2.1 icons i downloaded. Is this normal? Is my gumbo kernel still installed?

if i decided to change my Rom, do i simply just download the new ROM and flash over the old?

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

wiping your phone basically deletes your memory and settings (data). The kernel's still installed, as that's stored in a different way, and I believe the icons are stored in essentially the same place as the kernel. The only way to remove a kernel is to flash over it, either by flashing a different kernel, or RUU'ing.

To change your ROM, you can just flash the new one over the old, UNLESS you are switching versions of android, then you need to wipe before flashing the ROM.

Langella7 likes this.
  3. Langella7

Langella7 Active Member This Topic's Starter

so if i were to go from Fresh 1.1 to Damage control would i have to wipe again? WHen you say wipe, you mean just do the factory reset i just did? Thanks again.

4. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Right. When I say wipe, I mean go into the recovery console (where you make your nandroids), and select "Wipe", then the top option (wipe: data, I think)