Did anyone by the Evo at full retail price?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mattstud36, Jun 17, 2010.

1. mattstud36

mattstud36 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I have 3 months to go, and I'm thinking about upgrading now at MSRP!

Advertisement

2. charlesdonahue

charlesdonahue Active Member

May 14, 2010
    I bought one on amazon for $450... but only after I sold my Hero for $250, and my old blackberry for $80. Quite happy with my purchase

3. shadiguy1

shadiguy1 Active Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Law Enforcement
    Glenolden PA
    i bought it full price..

4. stevieo526

stevieo526 Active Member

Jun 8, 2010
    If you are a Sprint premier member you can usually upgrade ~ 6 months prior to your renewal date. If your not, they will allow you to upgrade 2 months early. That's my understanding of it anyway.

5. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Database Developer
    Chicago burbs
    I'm sorry, but that is not accurate.

If you are a Premier member, you can upgrade after 1 year instead of waiting the standard 2. However, Sprint will only budget upwards to 2 weeks, off your eligibility date.

I fall under this category, with my next upgrade due on August 1st. At most, they could only bump it 2 weeks. I attempted numerous customer service reps, including several tries with Retentions, and all came back with the same answer.

Since I was stuck buying full price, I spent the same amount of $$$ on a Google IO phone instead, and got it several weeks prior to everyone else. And I couldn't be happier.

6. mattstud36

mattstud36 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I'm on the same boat as you, but my date is September 1st. I talked to 5 different customer service reps, and they all told me the same thing.

I did read several posts on here about people supposedly paying $50 and then getting their date pushed up. I'm assuming those stories were all BS.

7. vipervin

vipervin Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I wish this was true. Only way I know that may work is to threaten to cancel. But I paid full price by buying a Google IO phone off Craigslist.

8. akkidy

akkidy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Wow! such good price for your Hero!, mine was only worth as much as your old crackberry when I traded it to Sprint! :(

Bought the Evo full price! Just can't wait!

9. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    Lighting Technician
    Illinois
    I bought the Sprint Hero the day it came out using my upgrade, so when EVO came out it was only roughly 6 months later. So yes I paid full retail price for my EVO.

The Sprint Premiere members get $150 every 1 year to use towards upgrading their phone. Also as far as I can tell, if you are a premiere member on a family plan, every phone on the plan gets a $150 upgrade once per year (so far as I can tell on sprint website and talking to their chat support). Now qualifications to be a premiere member have changed and I'm not sure what it takes to exactly be one anymore, I believe the old plan simply stated you needed to subscribe to a plan that totaled more than $100 per month.

10. MikeGi

MikeGi Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Only the primary phone on a family plan gets the $150 upgrade every year, the others get the standard $150 every 2 years.

This is how it is on our plan, if anyone has a different experience let me know so I can do some yelling for both lines to have the 1 year upgrade :)

11. mbell75

Jan 16, 2010
    SoCal
    Yea, thats what I did to upgrade to my Hero in Jan. Had to pay full price for the Evo though. Dont regret it at all!

12. Hal Jordan

Hal Jordan Active Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Customer service can definitely help out in this scenario. I couldn't wait for my upgrade so I paid full price...but...I convinced a supervisor to make a note on my account that I did in fact pay full price and when my upgrade becomes available they will credit my account.

The guy I spoke to actually went above and beyond. I bought my phone on the Friday it came out and he called me on Monday to see how I was enjoying it and at that time he went in and credited my account $250. It covered my bill for this month and the bill for next. So in the end I got it for the $199 advertised.

I'd ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them this story. If they say they can't do it they're lying.

Go out and get yourselves your Evo!!

Tags: