Did anyone else see the Pre-Order page for the Captivate???

Last Updated:

1. Saeros

Saeros Active Member This Topic's Starter

So Twitter was ripe with info this morning about the Pre-Order page being up and running!!! But then I phoned in, no one knew about it not even the supervisor. I've been on twitter, asking @RogersElise about it and such, and she's aware of the issue and has said we will know more tomorrow.

Advertisement
  2. Saeros

Here is some more info...

This is the site that was up!!

PRICING :D

[​IMG]

3. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member

October 16 are they kidding us....... Come on Rogers its 3 months late already. Are you targeting 6 months later then the competition cause it sure looks like it.

At that pace i might as well wait for the dual-core to come out or wait for HTC Desire HD.

4. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

Thats cause Bell had a 90 day Exclusive on the Galaxy S.

5. Saeros

I agree!!

6. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

And is why lots were sold to Rogers users. :)

7. Silvertag

This is most likely because:

a) Rogers is always the last one to wake up in android lala land.
    b) Rogers did not think/wished for exclusivity on the Galaxy
    c) Rogers did not caugh enough cash to get exclusivity on the Galaxy
    d) All of the above.

I go for d) hands down.

8. Silvertag

That was until Bell learned the unlock codes were IN the phone. Suddenly they would not sell them without a contract even if you wave 500$ under their nose.

9. vikingisson

I know. You had to use better sales tactics than they use in order to buy one but it can be done.

But I don't get it, it is a device and has nothing to do with the carriers other than it works on their system. Just like my laptop right now and everything else I own. Why is it such a pain to just buy a phone? I don't want their leasing/contract nonsense, I want to own it.

but then again we're use to these silly contracts. I read someone complaining about not being able to upgrade soon enough after spending $95 on a phone as if that was a lot of money. Sorry but the phone is worth $500. Pay me now or pay me a whole lot more later while seeming to be less up front.

'cides, the "other" S has a front camera.. :p

10. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

Bell made a very smart move getting the 90 day Exclusive on the Galaxy S. And some of the student plans they have offer are killer... and most of the time they don't check for student ID. Rogers better smarten up or they might loss alot more customer then they already have. Android is the way of the future...

11. vikingisson

Which still has me asking, why is the phone (that they don't make) the big factor in choosing a carrier or how successful a carrier is? I wish they would compete on service and price. These devices aren't as useful without a service so they might do well to worry about that side of their business instead of the stupid-smart phone.

On the other hand, R might be laughing last if these phones come with lessons learned from the Bell version. As nice as the spec is for the S there are what I'd call serious defects in many of them. We won't know the whole story until the 2.2 update (this week maybe?) shows if the issues are software or hardware. Did I mention that updates come from Samsung and not the carrier? Good on the one hand but the Keis application is horrible, much worse than HTC's.

12. outcastrc

outcastrc Well-Known Member

Are they trying to make everyone buy an Iphone? Why is it so hard for Rogers to get a decent Android on their system...

I surely hope that the pricing is what is available until Oct 16 not the fact that we have to wait that long to even be able to get one.

13. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Well to be fair to Rogers, they were the first carrier in North America to get the Sony Ericsson X10.

14. Silvertag

They also proclaim a new revolution with android when they launched it back in june 09... i'm still waiting for that wave as R is always lagging behind in the Android high range models compared to the competition.

15. Silvertag

16. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

17. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

BS.....Rogers... funny how every other carrier can get the phone.. I bet it because rogers wants to lock down the firmware. Rogers likey asked Samsung to patch all the Captivates heading to Rogers to remove the ability for people to get unlock codes via app on your phone or script on your computer on the phone.. and fill it with rogers crap.... why can't they admit its their own mistake.. and not Samsung. I'm so happy I got my Samsung S from Bell.. and didn't wait for Rogers..

18. vikingisson

Could also be about getting 2.2 on it which is also due next month (not today as originally promised). Might not be a coincidence. There are too many bugs in the current version and the longer they can go without forcing users on that horrible Keis app for updates the better.

19. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

20. vikingisson

no i haven't tried it. I don't trust the phone yet. It was way too easy to brick the first one and I hadn't gone near flashing roms yet. I want to give the stock rom a chance before going too deep. If Samsung isn't releasing it yet then I don't want to use a sneak peek rom. They aren't 'cooked' like the HTC roms we're used to. I hope it doesn't take much longer because I'm not liking the touchwiz at all.

21. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

you can't brick the phone if you have the 3 button combo working.. you can always recover the phone.. with the 3 button recovery screen...

1st thing I did was uninstall Touchwiz.. I hate it as well, thats why i'm using launcher pro. or adw launcher.

22. vikingisson

That's the problem, mine didn't have that mode. We may never know if it was a defect or was deliberate. Mine went for a brick within the first week. The replacement has a working recovery mode. Good thing because it too went for a dive and the only thing non stock was ADW. Luckily I could reset. However I'm gun shy right now until I see the 2.2 with no issues from being rooted or running 3rd party rom. I think that Rogers will benefit from not being 1st with this phone and I'll bet donuts that it comes with 2.2 and fixes that are plaguing the earlier phones.

23. deluth

deluth New Member

24. Saeros

It's bloody ridiculous! I spent an hour on the phone with them today arguing about this very fact. No one could even give me a response better than "there isn't anything we can do for you". I'm quite angry with them over this. Don't know if arguing any further will get anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts or are us 'existing' customers just hooped.

25. Saeros

And just to show an example of what they are doing wrong... "Current T-Mobile customers will get exclusive access to pre-order the G2 starting later this month. Be the first to experience the next generation of speed." Like seriously? Whats keeping rogers from doing the same?