• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help did anyone just get a software update text from sprint?...is this for cl14?

thanks all...i guess they dont have a clue who they are texting given that I already updated and i got the text and there are folks who arnt updated who didnt get it. i hope the 2.xx update process is smoother. btw...if anybody is still having issues trying emailing the president of the company. i actually did this when i was having issues with the store update and general sprint professionalism and i got someone at corp to get the store on the ball and get the update done for me ASAP, and done correctly. see you all at 2.xx d-day.

Upvote 0
Just called a Sprint store to see about this update and they said they usually don't do things like that? He said I could update myself on my home PC, but that thing is ancient and doesn't even recognize our phones. He then told me if we bring it in they can try, it just might take 45 minutes to do.

I think that you have to take the phone to a Sprint Repair Center - not just a retail storefront. But it sounds like your store is willing to help. My retail store was willing to help too, but they didn't have the update at the time I went in to them. And the Repair Center wasn't able to get it done either. (There was some issues when the update first released.) So I did the update myself.

Upvote 0
I've had my phone since Nov 1, and received no text. I'm adding it to the list of reasons Sprint sucks. But at least I'm fortunate enough to have found this forum to know about the update on my own :)

By the way, for those of you who haven't updated to CL14 yet, you can get MYBACKUP from the android market and it will save all your stuff. Also,App Dragon will email you a list of your apps for re-downloading if needed.
cool,that helps alot!

Upvote 0
I just wanted to report that I did this update today, and I now have CL14 (and all the advertised benefits) on my phone!

Heads up that althogh I was able to get it done, I did have a few hiccups that I wanted to warn about..

1) After the new drivers were supposedly downloaded, and the "next" button was supposed to come up, nothing happened. Everything just kinda froze up.. I unplugged the phone, took out the battery then put it back in again, and re-plugged it in again. This time, my computer would not recognize my phone as a valid USB device!! SHOOT!! Repeated steps above again, and this time no message, but NOTHING! SHOOT!! I thought for sure that I had bricked my phone! Repeated steps again one more time, and this time the phone was recognized and "connected..

2) Finally got to the part where I hit "start download", and THAT froze up! Status bar didn't even start...
I repeated the steps above again, re-started the "SW Upgrade" program, and just kept pressing "Next" till I got to where you push "start download".
This time the download started and the rest worked just fine!

*Overall, I am very happy with the enhancements so far.
*AGPS is MUCH faster, but it still wasn't very close to where I actually am..
*I used My Backup to back everything up before I did the update. In case anyone gets a little confused like I was, once the update is completed, go to the market, re-download that app first, and use the "restore" feature. That will restore all your apps and data.
You WILL still need to re-do a lot of customization, but I think the enhancements were worth it.

GOOD LUCK! and don't panic if you run into the glitches like I did..

Oh yeah- I forgot to mention that I did NOT get any text messages from about this update.. Losers.. Much thanks to craigpicc for posting this thread!
Josh

Upvote 0
Help! This is the biggest thread that I've found on the update topic, especially the glitches mentioned. I have run into a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I finally manage to get all the way to the download screen, but when I click the download button it displays a message "e - dll cannot open the usb serial port. code: 87" Luckily the phone worked fine after I restarted it, just the way it was before, but I am unable to update it. I am running Windows Vista. If anyone could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
but when I click the download button it displays a message "e - dll cannot open the usb serial port. code: 87" Luckily the phone worked fine after I restarted it, just the way it was before, but I am unable to update it. I am running Windows Vista. If anyone could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Same issue.
I'm running Win7 x64

Upvote 0
Alright.. from the sources i have gotten info from (various different snips from different people and websites).. There WILL NOT be a 2.1 upgrade from cj05... It isn't possible due primarily to the SBL and the lack of recovery in CJ05... Sprint is getting everyone with a samsung moment to cl14 because cl14 includes a recovery kernel and module in bml8 and the sbl (in bml2) allows primary booting out of bml8.. thus allowing the kernel to be flashed when injected with samsung's Locktight proprietary script (this is the only method to EVER get an OTA update if possible.. but idk if they will do a 150+ mb file OTA.. would hurt the network data in different areas, especially high population areas)... This is a preemptive plan that will hopefully decrease the amount of "problem people" they have when 2.1 roles out in a month or two (we hope that time frame or sooner).. They are giving us more then 1 week notice (the amount of time they gave us for cl14) so be happy...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones