did i brick my droid x /blank menu screen

Last Updated: 2010-07-28 19:50:45
  1. jaredpepper

jaredpepper Member

I was running my rooted x all day , try to shut off the phone for a reboot , and now it stuck on the droid "eye" on boot up . I did remove a few apps using titanium backup. I did leave the backup assistant app on the phone. (I removed 3gwifi, android tips, blockbuster,amazon mp3 and a few others. I was able to run recovery and boot to welcome screen. I enter my google account info, and signed in. I allowed google access to my location. data begins to sync with the icon displaying in status bar.I select finish setup, and backup assistant launches i follow through with that. It then launches "setup accounts" I finish with that by selecting "done adding accounts" I can gain access to the internet , and searches using the soft keys. but i cannot get to a home screen. I can hold home screen key to bring up past apps. I can receive phone calls , emails and texts. and i do have access to my status bar .... i can get adb running on my computer if needed. Please help, verizon has informed me there are no replacement phones available. Of course i did not tell them i rooted the phone.

Advertisement
  2. schizrade

schizrade Well-Known Member

*sigh*

Good luck with that. If they send you a replacement, and you send back a rooted and bricked phone, they may hit you with a nice bill for it.

This is why they did this. Noobs bricking their phones and abusing the RMA system.
  3. SacNutz

SacNutz Well-Known Member

Double post, my bad.
  4. SacNutz

If you bricked you most certainly wouldn't be receiving calls. Maybe you deleted the home app. If you can get to the market, download launcher pro. if not, You're going to have to do a few things through adb. If you can ADB you're fine, don't worry.

No you have it backwards. Noobs are bricking their phones because they did this. If they didn't lock stupid apps on there we wouldn't have to worry about hacking to delete them right? This guy came here for help not a lecture.
    Sheba611 and Candroid like this.
  5. jaredpepper

jaredpepper Member

I was able to get to the market place , i then downloaded taskkiller and used that to luanch apps on the phone , im now able to do just about everything accept see my home screens . i downloaded LauncherPRo (free) and installed. Will NOT let me run the app. is there another alternative app i could use to get a home screen back. I cannot access my settings using the menu key, is there an additional way to access that? Im trying to enable settings under dev. (usb)
  6. schizrade

schizrade Well-Known Member

No I have it right.

They locked the phone for many reasons, one being people that have no business gaining root access to the devices cause the RMA rate to jump. Lost profits when these devices have to be returned to factory and reflashed, then sold as refurbs at a loss. Then the cost of devices goes up as a result. Solution? Lock everything down and put in place systems that allow Moto/VZW to know if it was tampered with. When somebody claims defect, and it is found to be tampering, charge them for the phone. Simple.

Who goes in as root without the knowledge of what root actually is and a way to restore if something goes wrong?

Noobs.

OP, good luck restoring.
  7. jaredpepper

jaredpepper Member

I was able to get the Launcher pro working. I now have a home screen and can change settings. Is there anything i can do to insure when i reboot the phone i wont have an issue/ do i have to run pro launcher till froyo?

** now that iam back up and running sort of , is there a rollback feature or anything i can do to get back to stock? I dont mind the phone being rooted i would like it to just work correctly
  8. SacNutz

I actually like launcher pro. But at least you have it working. Do this real quick through adb.

adb shell
    cd /system/app
    ls

Then copy and paste everything that comes up. Then we can find what you're missing and just reinstall them.

Or you can just rock launcher pro. You shouldn't have any problems when you reboot.
  9. jaredpepper

jaredpepper Member

OUTPUT

c:\DroidXRoot>adb shell
    $ cd /system/app
    cd /system/app
    $ ls
    ls
    NetworkLocation.apk
    MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
    ClockWidget.apk
    DataManagerService.apk
    VpnServices.apk
    Vending.apk
    cmas.apk
    ZoomService.apk
    Upgrader.apk
    megamaid.apk
    GoogleSettingsProvider.apk
    Messaging.apk
    PhotoWidget.apk
    ContactsUnconnected.apk
    ApplicationsProvider.apk
    PhoneAddons.apk
    YouTube.apk
    Fota.apk
    BlurEmail.apk
    VideoPlayer.apk
    WmdrmDla.apk
    AtCmd.apk
    ToggleWidgets.apk
    CalendarSync.apk
    StatusWidget.apk
    AdminFeedNotifier.apk
    BlurContactsSync.apk
    Settings.apk
    Gmail.apk
    ImDmPlugin.apk
    SDMService.apk
    GlobalSearch.apk
    MediaUploader.apk
    PicoTts.apk
    SetupWizard.apk
    BuaContactAdapter.apk
    TelephonyProvider.apk
    SocialShare.apk
    Term.apk
    SyncML.apk
    PhoneConfig.apk
    ScreenReader.apk
    VoiceCommands.apk
    GoogleCheckin.apk
    Music.apk
    Bluetooth.apk
    FriendFeed.apk
    oma1motService.apk
    TalkProvider.apk
    BatteryReport.apk
    CertInstaller.apk
    DownloadProvider.apk
    LiveWallpapers.apk
    GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider.apk
    GmailProvider.apk
    CompassCalibrate.apk
    BlurCalendar.apk
    VoiceSearch.apk
    FirewallService.apk
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    Usb.apk
    MotoAtCmdPlugin.apk
    Maps.apk
    OverlaySettingsProvider.apk
    NewsWidget.apk
    FMRadio.apk
    Dock.apk
    BatteryManager.apk
    blur-services.apk
    ContactsData.apk
    android-syncservice-app.apk
    DMService.apk
    MarketUpdater.apk
    SyncMLApp.apk
    HomeSyncWizard.apk
    Talk.apk
    LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
    Skype_mobile.live.apk
    VClipboard.apk
    ArcPhotoworkshop.apk
    PackageInstaller.apk
    VisualizationWallpapers.apk
    MasterClearErrorReport.apk
    GooglePartnerSetup.apk
    BlurEmailEngine.apk
    DatamanagerApp.apk
    GoogleSearch.apk
    MediaSync.apk
    PolicyMgrProvider.apk
    WmdrmWebpush.apk
    Browser.apk
    BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk
    ArcVideoEditorLite.apk
    DrmProvider.apk
    QuickOffice.apk
    ExtDispService.apk
    OMAProvisioning.apk
    StorageMonitorService.apk
    SetupProvider.apk
    DLNA.apk
    MtlrNotifier.apk
    MessagesWidget.apk
    FMRadioService.apk
    AudioEffectSettings.apk
    MotoAttAtCmdPlugin.apk
    SocialMessaging.apk
    UserDictionaryProvider.apk
    TtsService.apk
    BluetoothDun.apk
    Location.apk
    BlurUpdater.apk
    OMADownload.apk
    AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
    FileManager.apk
    UniversalInbox.apk
    MediaGallery.apk
    MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk
    MediaProvider.apk
    DlnaSystemService.apk
    BlurCalendarProvider.apk
    HTMLViewer.apk
    WorkContacts.apk
    GoogleApps.apk
    RichTextCommon.apk
    BlurCamera.apk
    Conversations.apk
    Calculator.apk
    QuickContactWidget.apk
    ContactsProvider2_0.apk
    gtalkservice.apk
    ProgramMenu.apk
    HelpCenter.apk
    BlurAlarmClock.apk
    Street.apk
    Stk.apk
    Setup.apk
    Visualization.apk
    EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk
    BackupAssistanceClient.apk
    MyVerizon.apk
    LocationProxyDmPlugin.apk
    ProgramMenuSystem.apk
    GlobalUnplug.apk
    Swype.apk
    WeatherWidget.apk
    PNI-Moto.apk
    BlurPhone.apk
    SoundRecorder.apk
    StickyNoteWidget.apk
    BlurContacts.apk
    CarDock.apk
    LatinIME.apk
    PolicyMgrService.apk
    AdService.apk
    superuser.apk
    $

also i tried to install the update from verizon and that failed.

thanks for you help
  10. jaredpepper

jaredpepper Member

jroc likes this.
  11. SacNutz

Wow those are all out of order. It would be hard to go over everything without being alphabetized. I know you're missing blurhome.apk though.

Yeah you can trust that. That's acutally what I was going to refer you to to reinstall the apps. Reinstall blur home and see what happens. When you unzip that file it shows all the apps, so go through and find the ones you are missing.

Next time, don't delete. Just attach .bak to the file name so it's easy to fix if you have problems.
    jroc likes this.
  12. jaredpepper

jaredpepper Member

should i just reinstall all of them or should i find which ones are missing? What is the best way to reinstall all of them? Whats the best way to reinstall individually?

thanks again
  13. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea Blur Home was missing. That the first app I tried to use on my Droid when the first X system dump was done.
  14. SacNutz

No don't reinstall all of them. I'm not really sure of the best way actually. I'm sort of new to unix commands.

I would say the safest (but longest) way would be to find the individual apps that you deleted and reinstall them. I was just reading on the IRC chat that someone tried to delete everything, and then reinstall and he was bricked last time I checked. So just go one by one.

I'm not sure if you can just copy the file over with adb using the push command, or if you have to use the install command (I think I saw that somewhere). Do this, push one of the less important apps like blockbuster and then exit adb. See if you can run it on your phone, if it works just do that for everything else you need to install.
  15. jaredpepper

jaredpepper Member

Thanks you again for your help , i think i read someone used astro file manger to restore them.
  16. SacNutz

No problem. I'm glad you didn't brick your phone lol.

Yeah I think astro would work fine. I'm sure you'll find an effective method after some trial and error. As long as you don't delete anything from system/app you will be good to go! :D

Edit: By the way I saw you asked about rolling back in a previous post. That isn't currently an option. Once we get a .sbf file from Motorola we can do an *official* restore of everything on the phone. But that could be a while.
  17. kn0

kn0 New Member

Im having the same problem, how did you get to the marketplace?
  18. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Or they could allow it and if you brick your phone charge you a nice fee to re flash it. They don't have to RMA it, they don't have to resell it at a loss, they don't have to send it out as a referb, They make money off "noobs" Everyones happy:D

Just saying it doesn't have to be this way
  19. Foolish Mortal

Foolish Mortal Well-Known Member

Sweet. :D
  20. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Well-Known Member

Have you tried using voice command to open the market and get root explorer then open it via voice command and change everything that you changed...unless you took of voice command....jsut read other posts, you have launcher pro working..
  21. Naughty#9

Naughty#9 Active Member

i had a similar experience today.

i had deleted my bloat, then downloaded and re-added everything i deleted. i went in and re-set all the permissions, rebooted, and everything was back and good.

i upgraded to titanium backup donate version, rebooted, then went in and was freezing the items that i had removed previously. titanium backup locked up. after about 15 minutes of letting it sit locked up, i shut the power off. when i powered it back up, my phone rebooted and went to the screen with the slide lock. when i would slide the lock, i would be taken to a black screen with the status bar.

i did a factory reset, which then took me into a boot-loop on the red eye screen.

i did a hard reset, then my phone started as normal in the factory reset phase.

i was freaking out. i think i'll hold off on rooting again until after 2.2 is out.