Did I root successfully?

Last Updated:

1. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I followed the instructions to root to one of Joey's kernels. I was just hoping for some increase battery life. Did I do it correctly? My phone has this in the "about phone" section:

Baseband Version S:M900.8.OS.CL14
    Kernel Version: 2.6.27
    Build Number: joeykrim SDX Final 1.9.5

Does that look correct? The phone works the same as it did before. It is really fast, but it always seemed fast to me (came from a Pre:D). Is there anything I should expect or explore? I'm really new at this rooting thing. Also, for anyone that wants to install a custom kernel, it was super easy (assuming I did it correctly). Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
  2. ragingbull2k2

ragingbull2k2 Well-Known Member

you are root... congrats! just keep on browsing the sdx forums to keep on learning stuff... also check out how to load custom themes, how to delete stock apps you don't use that keep on popping up, etc etc...

Joey

coldstatic and duratime like this.
  3. dib.1138

dib.1138 Member

:eek::Dyes congrats! you are root, as am I... lol it only took me a week of frustration before I found the right combo of things to try, drivers, and the right suggestions from the awesome crew here!

4. duratime

Thanks. I think I got lucky. Started reading about the rooting at like 3:30 and it was rooted at about 4. The part the really surprised me is that it took less the 30 seconds to actually download to the phone. I figured that I must have done something wrong.

5. numus

numus Banned

Wait till you try the kernel flashing via applying zip in max's recovery :) takes about 5-10 seconds to flash the kernel..

6. dib.1138

dib.1138 Member

i was gonna try that after i play with joey's 1.9.5 for a bit! lol

7. ragingbull2k2

ragingbull2k2 Well-Known Member

seriously, it's stupid how easy it is... takes longer to boot the phone after the fact than actually flashing :D

Joey

8. meangene

meangene Well-Known Member

Check out busybox if you want some native linux command line apps.

9. brkear1967

brkear1967 Member

Hey I've got the Joeykrim 1.9.5 rooted but I cant get the Max Recovery to load. Anyone have any ideas? I cant do anything without recovery apparently.

10. htcman724

htcman724 Well-Known Member

ok so i have a question i used caulikns rom and now my details are
    baseband s:m900.8.os.cl14
    kernal 2.6.27
    build speedrabbit sdx1.7
    hardware m900.8.0

am i rooted?and if so then i guess that when i used caulkins rom it rooted the phone for me?

11. OneCraftySAHM

OneCraftySAHM Active Member

Yep your rooted! Not sure about the tethering as I'm not using it for tethering but I believe there is a separate download for it...look through the threads here in the rooted section and I think there is a link to what you need.

htcman724 likes this.
  12. htcman724

ok i got the tethering to work with a little bit of messing around with the app itself.thanks.so i guess you don't need to use the sprint updater to root you can just do it from the sd card? and also if i wanted to change to like zeffies can i just do that from my sd card like i did to speedrabbits or do i have to use calukins roms only?

13. OneCraftySAHM

I am extremely new to this as well, so please don't quote me on this, but as far as I understand it Calks ROM is the only one that you can do that with. I have flashed Speedrabbits, Zefie's and Joeys ROMS and all required me to use the SWUpdater. Glad you got the tethering working :)

htcman724 likes this.
  14. htcman724

calks rom gets rid of speaker phone is there a way to put it back on?

nevermind i figured it out and yes it was really dumb......

15. LincKraker

LincKraker Well-Known Member

i like how everyone keeps asking if they are rooted. if you are asking if you are rooted you prolly don't know what root is and shouldn't have root access..

16. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

most of the "kernels" have zips that you can flash the same way you flashed calk's rom. it'll just replace the kernel though... and i believe calk has a version of each person's kernels in his rom, so there really isn't too much of a point to it... jmho.

17. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

:D

18. OneCraftySAHM

lol, well, I personally think that only a handful of people who have root actually understand it....most of us are just great at following directions, ha ha!

Ah ok, got it. Yea, the ROM that I flashed was Calks/Speedrabbit ROM, and to me, it appeared faster than all the others and it held battery quite a bit better. Before that, I chose Speedrabbits cause it was the fastest out of Joeys and Zefie's. I kept getting the lines on Zefies and Joeys seemed to lag for me. I guess it's just a matter of preference....like everything else, lol...thanks for the info :)

19. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

OP can you post the method you used? thanks! many and I'm stuck. :)

20. duratime

Do you have the SWUpdater? (the samsung tool you can get from the Sprint website)