Did I ruin my battery?

Last Updated: 2012-11-16 15:42:21
  1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

Ever since I got my Captivate, I've been charging the battery on and off, here and there, never completely, an hour or so at a time, whenever I noticed it running out.

Then I read the manual, and it says there that the battery should be "completely" charged for 4 hours before first use.

Have I caused any damage to the battery? I thought with modern batteries we don't have such restrictions and problems as we did with the old batteries (battery memory, discharging once a month, etc).

Advertisement
  2. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

I hope not - because I did the same thing. Apparently I should have read the manual. The phone came with half a charge so I just plugged it in as soon as I got home with the phone.
  3. kmthomas2009

kmthomas2009 Member

you should be ok as long as when you first got yo phone you let it die, fully recharge, die again and fully recharge it. i did this and get a full day out of my phone on heavy use and syncing set 2 every hour.
  4. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member

5. jonE5

jonE5 Well-Known Member

Should be fine, guy at ATT store put my battery in and powered it on the first time.
  6. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Nope. It's just standard instructions left over from the old days. You will be fine.
  7. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

Lithium Ion batteries should be topped up as often as possible because letting them die completely causes more wear.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries
  8. sonicanatidae

That article is a bit dated. I imagine the L-Ion batteries have
    matured since then.
  9. ZDroid1

But this website [howstuffworks.com] says:

"If you completely discharge a lithium-ion battery, it is ruined."
  10. sonicanatidae

11. ZDroid1

12. gflare

gflare Well-Known Member

There are still people who swear by the old method of "use until near-dead, then full recharge," but there are newer articles that state "newer Lith-Ion Batteries have a longer lifetime if they have a decent charge at all times (or no memory at all) ."

I'm no expert, but you can find experts on either side of that argument. Personally, I did the full near-dead and full recharge everyday since I got my Captivate on Sunday. My battery seems fine and will last one day of regular use before I need to charge it at night.
  13. I fly R/C helicopters which use Lithium-Polymer batteries. While these aren't the same as Lithium-Ion, they're similar. If you completely discharge a Li-Po, you will ruin it. Believe me, I've had to replace a few $80 li-po's because I've done it. They also will deteriorate faster if they are left sitting with a max charge. That's why manufacturures send the batteries partially charged when they ship. However, I don't believe Li-Ion batteries have these issues.

Li-Po's tend to perform better (run longer) after they've been through several charge cycles (not letting them fall below 30% charge), although they have no memory effect. I believe this to be true of Li-Ion batteries as well (though it won't kill a Li-Ion if you let it completely discharge).

All that said, the Li-Ion batteries in this phone are no different than the millions that have been shipped in other phones. Some initial "break-in" will occur and you'll see a change in the characteristics of the battery after a few cycles. I'd suggest having some patience and letting the battery settle in. If it's still giving you hell after a week or so, then consider replacing it.
  14. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Well-Known Member

Lithiums (LiIon/LiPo/LiFE4) should be stored with between 55-70% charge.

You should NEVER EVER EVER discharge a Li-based battery until it is dead - this WILL ruin cell/cells, essentially ruining the pack/battery. Been there, done that, and as MrTony said, it gets expensive. I run $200+ packs in RC Cars, and it's a VERY expensive mistake to make.

Thankfully, it'll be near-impossible to get to that point with these phones, but you should still watch out.

And unlike NiCD/NiMH, which can sometimes be brought back to life by "zapping," once an Li-based pack is ruined, it's gone for good. Never been able to revive a SINGLE one.

T
  15. ace35

ace35 Well-Known Member

i am coming at this as a pc tech who is getting there first "smart phone", LI batteries "wear" over time and number of charges. the lower you let it get before recharging the shorter the overall battery life will be lower. on laptops i recommend batterybar from Osiris as it will measure the wear on the battery and tell you how much is wear it has and how much time is left based on usage it see's.

do we have anything like that for droid phones?
  16. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

LI batteries have no memory. All rechargeable batteries have a magical amount of charges in their life. Whatever that number is who knows but the more you charge it the shorter the battery life becomes. Doing half charges, quarter charges, etc isn't bad for the battery.
  17. Amoeba1911

Amoeba1911 New Member

Unless it's at 0 volts, it can be revived. Of course it will not be nearly as good, and there's a chance that it will vent if you do it improperly. The way to do it is to charge it using a constant current source at low current (at 0.1C) until it goes above 3.2 volts. Then use a normal lithium charger. This works, I've done it a few times.

Warnings:
    Never leave lithium batteries charging unattended.
    Stop charging immediately if lithium battery gets warm.
    Never charge lithium battery above 4.2 volts.
    Stop charging if the cell swells or starts venting.
    Never puncture cells. Never charge punctured cells.
    Don't keep flammable objects near lithium batteries while charging.
    Never charge lithium batteries while warm.