Did Motorola lock only the MilestoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. oam

oam Member This Topic's Starter

So, I know that the Droid has the unlocked bootloader while they locked the Milestone. I have read (if im not mistaken) that new Motorola android phones have been rooted. Does that mean they dont have locked bootloaders? Is Milestone the only phone that cant have custom roms?

Advertisement
  2. GlitchZero

GlitchZero Well-Known Member

No..the Milestone wasn't as popular with ROM developers in the US (where a lot of them are..) because it wasn't really 'sold' there. So the real ROMs for locked bootloader devices haven't been seen until recently with the Droid X and the Droid 2, both of which HAVE the locked bootloader.

You can load Nandroid flashes of modified ROMs on the Milestone, they just don't alter the base 2.1 kernel.

Also, the Milestone's been rooted for a long time.

3. oam

oam Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

How can I backup all my phone settings and layout (themes, icons, installed apps) so if i decide to root my phone and try new roms, i wouldnt lose them.

Another question (lol sorry). When I root my Milestone, does that mean I lose all of my current settings and apps installed? What if I try a custom ROM.

4. LifeInAnalog

LifeInAnalog Well-Known Member

...I can only tell you my experience. When using the one-click rooting app Easy Root (market) nothing was lost.

Other methods might give you different results but I would assume that rooting will do nothing (it simply adds the superuser command) but messing with ROMS may or may not erase your data. How's that for ambiguous? Helpful huh?:p

5. TelusMilestone

TelusMilestone Well-Known Member

Custom ROM's aren't are not a big deal to me, the phone can be rooted and tweaked to the fullest. My phone runs so fast and looks awesome! booloader smootloader!

6. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I could not agree more.

TelusMilestone likes this.