Did Motorola remedy the "Battery Door" issue?

Last Updated:

1. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So my purchase is kind of looming very soon with my new every two next week, Motorola announcing nothing new on Verizon (or HTC gah!) and the Nexus One being pretty underwhelming (all the cool stuff is Android 2.1, which hits Droid soon enough anyways!). The last thing I'm concerned with on the Droid is the battery cover issue I've read so much about.

From what I understand the battery cover is pretty loose, or loosens, allowing it to slide/pop off in your pocket. Verizon has no official fix for it (lol at the sliding grip sticker they stuck on that one fellows phone), but I've heard that some models hitting stores no longer have this issue. Is this something Motorola quickly fixed or have these users just not gotten funky models?

Advertisement
  2. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

I have to all but pry the damn thing off, don't think its an issue, at least not for me

3. Aquineas

Aquineas Active Member

I admit I've seen it on mine, with a frequency of about 4 times since I bought the phone in November.

4. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

me neither

5. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Well-Known Member

I saw on another forum/thread that the replacement ones they send out have a small piece of foam inside to rest against the battery. I had issues with my cover coming off early on but it seems to have "found its groove" and doesn't come off anymore.

6. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Interesting. I just find it really amusing that my LG Voyager hasn't had the battery pop out once in 2 years lol. Too bad they didn't just make a "battery backing" instead of a slide-off door.

7. JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio Well-Known Member

bought mine on the 26th, and that was a concern...it's nice and firm on mine, but now i have a case, so it's not a problem

8. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

thought the 'free' ones they were giving out (not sure if they're still doing it or if its 5 dollars now) remedied the situation by adding extra padding or something like that... at least thats what i heard.

9. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

mine never popped off for the first 2.5 weeks i didnt have a case. now that i have a case i dont worry abt it

10. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

I got my Droid in the middle of december and it was manufactured in 43/09 so it wasn't one of the first ones. The door on that one was alright and never came off accidentally for me. I did get one of the replacement ones when they had them for free and the new one fits much tighter and is quite a bit harder to get off. Unless you go to a store that has some old stock left I would think it should have the newer battery cover that fits very tight.

11. N2o

N2o Active Member

I have to have a piece of tape on mine to prevent it from sliding off when I take it out of my pocket. Its not a problem when I'm standing, but driving + jeans = squeeze.

12. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I've had four Droids (returned three for various reasons, kept fourth) and of them one had the loose battery door.

Wouldn't fall off on it's own, but it was easy to accidentally slide it off accidentally.

I requested a new door on motorola's web site and it arrived shortly thereafter - the fix was to put a deeper pad on the inside of the door so that there is more pressure, keeping the door firmly closed. You could easily do this yourself by cutting up a business card or other stock and putting it inside the battery door - that was a common fix on some Blackberry models that also had loose battery doors...

Overall this is a non-issue - not there on most phones, easily fixed via door request to Motorola or Verizon, or do-it-yourself.

13. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

How often does one need to remove their battery? I've only opened it three times since I installed the battery on day one (mid november), and the cover holds very tight.

14. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member

I put a small 1 inch strip of very thin, foam weather stripping on the back of my door. Now I have to really work to get the battery door to slide off. Works great!

15. tehshift

tehshift Member

the battery cover latches on a piece of metal. If you take a flat head screw driver and bend that latch up just a bit, problem will be solved. It was just flimsy metal that got pushed down.

16. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

what is all this talk about a faulty battery door cover? I have no problem whatsoever with it.

I must add, however, that I use a hard case on my little fembot.

17. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

use a case, no battery door issues. i didnt even know there were battery door issues, since i've had a case since day one.

problem solved :)

18. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

19. brad03

brad03 Member

Even though I have only had my phone for a few days, I am going to assume it is fixed, as I have to agree with the person who said they basically have to pry the thing off. Mine does not seem like it will ever be a problem, but who knows I may be mistaken it may be something that occurs with time.

20. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Moto sent me a free replacement and it's a lot better than the original one I Had. The cover still comes off once in awhile, but I guess that happens.

21. jennyloca715

jennyloca715 Well-Known Member

I have no problems with mi batt cover. :)
    well I had not messed around with it that many times lol and have a cover but it is easy to remove it too easy....so before anything else happens, I called verizon lol.. they said they will send me a new one.

22. batterycommon

batterycommon New Member

never find it.
    I'm lucky

23. jennyloca715

jennyloca715 Well-Known Member

I just called verizon and they are sending a new "door" free of any charge.So if you still have tape in your droid you might want to call them to send you a replacement.