• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did the firmware upgrade today

captainbob

Dec 15, 2011
Well I downloaded the new update today and installed it with Keis because I got tired of waiting for it to be sent to my phone.

1. I think the instuctions on the T mobile forum should be clearer. Trying to follow the instructions on a couple of different threads got me nowhere. I finally was told by one of the forum members to download the Kies software for my PC, and use that for the upgrade. The Kies air program will not work for the upgrade. Downloading the Kies software apparently installs a driver, which replaces the working driver that I had found when I first got the phone. So trying to connect to the Kies desktop, once it installed, produced a usb connection problem. After trying for 1/2 hour or so, I went to the Samsung Website, and downloaded the exact USB driver for the T679 phone Support - T-Mobile Cell Phones SGH-T679 | Samsung Cell Phones

Once I had the correct driver "again", then it connected. It found and downloaded the software after giving you the option of backing up the data on your phone. Between the backup and the download and install of the new OS, you are talking well over an hour, so make sure you have the battery charged, although it should be charging via the USB cable ( but I was not taking any chances).

The phone is much faster now. I use my phone all the time for different apps, and I can already see that it is more stable and faster. This is a good upgrade, in my opinion. Everything works well, and I lost no data at all.

probably..

Figured out that updating it using Mac and Windows 64 bit doesn't work. Used my crappy old PC and it started going. Now it's frozen at 33%. The phone says it's downloading and to not unplug. It's been like this for 20 minutes. I'm afraid to do anything! Will force quit Kies brick my phone?

Arg! Thought updating through Kies would be easier but it's giving me all these problems...

Upvote 0
It worked! My phone didn't brick when I unplugged. It said there was an error and did a recovery step.

The phone restarted and I had to log back into my google account. I didn't know it was going to do that.

I knew I was going to lose root according to other threads and forums. What I didn't know was that ALL the bloatware was going to pop back up!

I'm not sure if I like the smoother faster interface more than the cluttered bloatware. I used to only have about 4 or 5 pages of apps, now I have 7. Ugh... I don't know which one is worse. Oh well. That was a lengthy process and I don't want to go through re-rooting. New Rooting process looks to be very complicated, more so than when I first rooted....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones