Did they ever fix these issues? GPS/random shutdownsSupport

Last Updated:

1. kkel19

kkel19 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 12, 2010
    I havent been on this forum inawhile..just wondering..if any updates have fixed past GPS not locking issue and random phone shutoff due to badram or whatever?

Have these issues been fixed now?

2. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2010
    If you visit the AT&T Forums for the Captivate, you'll quickly see that this issue has not been resolved.

However, the problem wasn't so much that GPS didn't lock, but sometimes the accuracy left something to be desired, as in GPS showing you're one street over from where you actually are.

That said, I've never had an issue with my GPS. Accurate.

Same with random shutoff. Still happening but Keep Alive on the Market seems to have resolved many of those issues, although there are those who are continue having issues even with Keep Alive.

That said, neither myself nor my bf have experienced any random shutdowns with our Captivates. (Well, I did once, when I had a task killer installed. But once I uninstalled, this problem never recurred).

Personally, I love the Captivate and would recommend it.

Read the CapFaq for all you'll need to know about the Captivate to help you make a decision.
  3. Gr8Danes

Gr8Danes Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Well, with the most recent release of the leaked Froyo on XDA's website, my GPS is spot on. I was so extremely cynical that they would ever fix it, that I didn't want to believe it when I saw that I had a dead lock almost 100% of the time. I finally realized it was legit when I ran the GPS test app on it and it no longer showed my Lat/Long moving around when I was stationary. I thought for sure it was a hardware problem with the phone. So, I am now feeling much better about it.

As for the shut downs, after updating to Froyo and playing with the ROMs, I have yet to have another shut down. I am currently running Cognition 2.3b3 and am loving it. Really, I no longer have any complaints about the function of this phone. It finally works as promised. Now if they can only release the source code so that we can have some more custom ROMs like Cyanogen and the "Official" Froyo, it would be perfect.
  4. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I only had a few random shutdowns, but the GPS issue is not fixed. Maybe in leaked firmware, but that doesn't help the vast majority of users until they actually get it.