Did Verizon sell me a refurbished Droid 2?

Last Updated:

1. knoxx

knoxx Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys.. Last Monday I decided to buy the D2, and being that I came from an Eris, it's probably the best phone I've come across. But the port for the charger was quite loose and I didn't want to risk anything, so I exchanged it for another one. Now, I noticed that the battery cover for this D2 is a slightly different shade of navy blue than the rest of the back of the phone. I compared my phone to my friends D2, and his is all the same exact navy blue color. I was thinking that maybe they sold me a refurbished one?? I also noticed that all 7 screens were filled with widgets and shortcuts that my first D2 didn't have occupied. So it seems as though someone else customized the home screens. I just wanted to know if I was the only one that had this problem and whether or not I should return the damn thing while I'm still within my 30-day return period. I mean, I did pay the whole $600 for it, so I don't want a refurbished $600 phone. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks ;]

Advertisement
  2. Lightnspirit

Lightnspirit Well-Known Member

When you exchanged it did you fedex your phone back and the new one come in a brown box?

yes that sounds like a refurb, but if your exchanging phones thats the risk, you might get a new one or a refurb. Though I will say this, being that this phone hasn't been out all that long it is strange you would get one, normally it takes month or more for the full refurbs to hit everyone.

3. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Within 30 days you get a new phone, not a refurb, unless policy has changed recently.

You exchanged in a store, right? You should have been able to tell whether the phone is new...should have included an entire phone, battery/battery cover/SD card.

I thought that the D2 came w/ a bunch of stuff on the home screens, due to moto blur bloatware...

4. infil

infil Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine had all kinds of crap on all 7 screens

5. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Motorola loads those widgets on the home screens out of the box, they did the same thing with the DX. I doubt you'd be getting a refurb this soon after release date anyways, there is plenty of new stock available.

6. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

How did you exchange it? We ordered online but exchanged it at a local VZW store and once they verified the problems with it they gave us a brand new one out of stock with all accessories. However, with online or phone exchanges they do often send just the phone and not a new battery, battery cover cover or SD card. In that case you could conceivably end up with a phone and battery cover that may not match perfectly.

I believe that a Factory Data Reset is part of any return or refurb, so even if it was refurbished you should have the same default configuration, which does include widgets and shortcuts on all seven screens.

If your first D2 did not come with the standard default configuration and it is the battery cover from that not matching the new phone then I'd be wondering more about the source of the original phone than of the replacement.

7. asilver

asilver Well-Known Member

I got my D2 through the exchange program from a D1 that I had warranty swapped 4 times..

my D2 came by itself (new but chassis only) battery and battery door separately, there was only 3 apps loaded on the home screen and that was it, no widgets or anything.

So that being said, hmm.

8. manho001

manho001 Member

are there any refurbs? the d2 was just out like 1 month!

9. Dragoro

Dragoro Well-Known Member

I cant believe theres any d2 refurbs yet.

10. mischiefse7en

mischiefse7en Well-Known Member

all 7 of my screens had stuff on them too, i got mine on launch day new

11. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I'm being sent a D2 as a warranty replacement for a D1 as well, and it sounds like I am getting similar packaging from what I heard from the agent who ordered it for me...he said things like "Hmmm...OK, here, got a battery and battery door cover coming as well..." to go with the new chassis. Something to do w/how they source D2s for warranty replacements in some cases...others appear to be getting new D2s as a complete unit in-box.

Can you tell me, did you get yours after a conversation w/a support agent where they said they'd send you a D2 and placed an order, or did you get it as a "surprise" when it showed up - you were expecting another D1 refurb?

Mine is the former...