Did VZW drop the mail in rebate?

1. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

Last week I hear Verizon was nixing the $100 rebate and would be selling the phone for $200. Is this actually true?

Advertisement
  2. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, the only way to receive an INSTANT rebate, is to purchase it over the phone/online. In-store purchases almost ALWAYS (as it's been advertised with the X) have MIRs attached to them.

Which in my mind is a joke...
  3. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

Oddly enough when my wife and I were in the corporate store the other day putting our name on the list he said they'd cost 200 bucks. He didn't mention the mail in rebate, and I just assumed there was one. However, since he didn't mention it, maybe that means they dropped it?
  4. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member

I know they most likely didn't, but I wish like hell they would. The mail-in rebate junk is dumb.
  5. ohnono

ohnono Well-Known Member

It's my inderstanding that a $100.00 rebate has been automatically included in the price for everybody. So that way everyone can get it through Verizon either in store or on line for $199.00.
    If eligible can apply the standard NE2 so the phone price goes to
    $149.00:)
  6. JubbaTheHutt

Well according to Motorola's Press Release on the phone, it does have a MIR attached to it.

Every phone I've purchased since '98 with the Big Red has been in-store and has ALWAYS had a MIR attached to it. And I too agree MIRs are junk to the consumer, but to rebate companies, they are absolutely pure profit.
  7. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Mail-in rebates go to rebate companies?!? I'm not exactly sure how they work.
  8. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

9. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree that the mail-in rebates stink. It just sounds so much nicer to think a phone is a clear 200 instead of seeing it ring as 300.....even though you get that 100 back eventually. 300 sounds like a lot more :p
  10. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Active Member

^ Guys its easy from what I hear,

Bill the phone to your account, send the rebate in. The Card will come before the next phone bill comes in and just apply the Rebate to the bill and then pay off the rest of the phone. This way you don't pay anything out of pocket and when you do get the bill its only 200 bucks + normal bill.
  11. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

my rebate for my inc took about 2 weeks and you get a visa card.
  12. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member

Hmmm. That's kind of tempting. I could just use that to pay my electricity bill later in the month...
  13. lilRikki

lilRikki Well-Known Member

Just talked to a rep at my local corporate store and yes, there is a $100 MIR on the Droid X.
  14. Yeah i doubt they dropped the mail in rebate i think they just told you $199.99 because they always do they rarely tell you after rebate until it rings up and your paying whatever the mail in rebate is extra.
  15. murdoc158

murdoc158 Well-Known Member

How do you go about buying something with this? You get a $100 VISA and lets say I buy some stuff on Amazon totaling $115. If you pay with the VISA you will come up $15 short. I'm pretty sure Amazon doesn't have a way to spread payments across multiple forms of payment.
  16. Yeah well for amazon you wouldnt use that then. You would just have to buy something for $100. You could always go to a bank and get a cash advance on it they will give you the $100 and you can spend it however you would like
  17. JubbaTheHutt

I'm also going to throw this out there, because i was in this same situation with a debit card I received from a VZW MIR awhile back. It should be noted that whenever you activate the debit card, it will REMAIN ACTIVE UNTIL YOU CLOSE THE ACCOUNT. There are stories of people who spend the entire amount on a card, throw it away, and later on find that someone managed to continuously charge items to the card.

Read up on this thread: Beware of OCZ Rebates! I wish I had know this. - [H]ard|Forum

Your best bet, is to transfer the amount on the card over to a Paypal address than IMMEDIATELY call the customer service dept. of the bank that issued the card to cancel it.
    lilRikki likes this.
  18. HookEmHorns*UT*

HookEmHorns*UT* Well-Known Member

You just use the MIR on your wireless bill and you have the 100$'s off and thats that.
  19. schizrade

schizrade Well-Known Member

ROFL. What a scam. They end up with the damn hundred dollars anyway.
  20. Obviously if they didnt get money out of it they wouldn't do it. Its all about making money.
  21. urdaddi

urdaddi Well-Known Member

Do not be so quick to call something a scam.

You can use the $100 any way you want to use it...so it does not necessarily mean that Verizon will "end up with it anyway."

You can use it to pay toward your Verizon Wireless bill if you choose to do so, or you can use it to buy bubble gum if you choose. It is your money.

If you do use it toward the Verizon Wireless bill...then you are still $100 ahead because you would have had to pay that bill anyway.
  22. lodestar

lodestar Active Member

Scam or no scam, it still sucks cause you have to pay sales tax based on the $300 (at least in CA), and no amount of rebate is going to give you your $10 back.
  23. Well thats the way it is anywhere. Whatever you pay when you purchase an item is what you get taxed even if you are going to get a mail in rebate back
  24. JubbaTheHutt

Good point, there's always sales tax :)

To be quite honest, the ONLY MAJOR BENEFIT of picking it up in-store is to have instant access to the phone. If you don't mind waiting 24 hrs for it to be shipped to you, free of charge, plus have $100 slashed off the price immediately to you, than why not just order it over the phone or online?