Did you change your mind?General

Of those who voted 1.5 in the old poll, have you changed your mind and installed 2.1?

1. Yes

24.5%
  2. No

75.5%

Last Updated:

1. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member This Topic's Starter

yes

no

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

I'm waiting for the OTA still, as I voted in the original poll; haven't changed my mind or even been tempted to. :cool:

3. mhseris

mhseris Well-Known Member

I second that. While I'm confident in my ability to install the leaked 2.1, I am not confident in my troubleshooting skills re smartphones and am playing it safe.

4. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Yep. Running 2.1 here and have no regrets. The phone is snappier, no lag, battery is slightly better, love the market, and the HTC Weather Widget/Clock is spot on. Can't wait to use Google Navigator this weekend.

The only reason I wanted root was to move apps to SD card and overclock. Not sure I really need to do that anymore.

5. Frisco

Speaking of over clocking, I haven't seen much posted about that around here, although there was talk of it in the root threads, was that supposed to be a capability of 2.1 as well?

6. Scouter

Scouter Member

I have been waiting patiently. I have down loaded the 2.1 "leak" just in case :D
    Now that there is a root 2.1 I am more tempted than ever. I think I will wait a little while and see how that seems to be working and probably go that route. Root and 2.1 is too tempting.
    Must be strong...resistance is futile :p

7. Frisco

There is a rooted 2.1?

I must have missed that; there is a thread claiming the XDA people rooted 1.5.

8. roscuthiii

roscuthiii Well-Known Member

Still standing strong on waiting, I'm firmly resolved like that... or if you want to be a bitch like my gf you can call it being a stubborn ass...

Hmm, sidebar here- if it is rooted, are there apps for specifically rooted phones? Say I wanted to overclock so it's a bit faster, but then later when I'm not using it as intensively, have it switch to an underclocked mode? Yes, my noob is showing.

Side-sidebar... thinking about possibilities has my resolve slipping...

9. smacky

smacky Banned

Frisco, you seem to be an experienced user, but some idiot will overclock the processor to the point that it will fry in their hands. Then they'll be out trying to report it stolen just to get a new one.

The 2.1 leak is only a small offering of the stupidity we're going to see in the future. Root will take the cake once it becomes available and times goes on and more people get the Eris.

But back to your question, I'm still happy I have 2.1. It is nothing special, but seeing as how small the dev community is for the Eris, root won't take off until everyone is capable of rooting their device, not just those that waited for the 2.1 OTA.

10. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Yes, there are apps that are made to do these things to rooted phones. I would wait to root your phone because there's not much you can do at this point. The devs are working on ROM's to go on the Eris and making sure that the programs such as overclocking programs are compatible with our phone. Root will be great but it's in infancy for the Eris...just got dropped on us today.

11. Frisco

The timing on all this is interesting. Q1 is within two weeks of ending, and along comes root for 1.5, and the 2.1 leak a few weeks ago.

Has good old human nature impatience been the major cause of all this ruckus? ;)

12. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I call a redo on April 1st when there is no OTA.

13. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

no overclocking is not built into the OS. Overclocking can be achieved on a rooted device though.

They rooted 1.5 erii, and once rooted they have a 2.1 ROM you can use, but it is very buggy from what I hear.

14. ggangi

ggangi Well-Known Member

Switched and am happy I did.
    Selecting phone calls from the history list could be a lot better.
    I mostly use links from one of my 7 pages so it usually isnt a problem.

15. Frisco

fify

:D

16. nomunk

nomunk Well-Known Member

if the 2.1 OTA update keeps taking forever I think im gonna install it soon, im sick and tired for waiting, at this point it almost seems like this update will never come out

17. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

I changed my mind when the rooted 2.1 was released. ;)

18. cannonfodder

cannonfodder Member

No, they didn't root 1.5. There is a 2.1 ROM w/root out there that you can go from 1.5 to, but you can't go from the leaked 2.1 to the rooted 2.1.

19. Caddyman

so your phone has to have OS 1.5 on it in order to root it, hence, they rooted the OS 1.5 eris's

20. cannonfodder

cannonfodder Member

Nope, 1.5 is not rooted however you want to try and word it. :D Just because you are upgrading with a 'pre' rooted ROM and can only upgrade from 1.5 and not downgrade from the newer leaked 2.1 doesn't mean 1.5 is rooted. Using that logic if we got an OTA to 1.6 and used the rooted ROM to upgrade, then 1.6 would have been rooted too, which isn't the case.

Matlock likes this.
  21. Caddyman

i see said the blind man

SO

this ROM is what gives you root access

the leaked 2.1 beat was hacked up and rooted in it's packaged form. the same package we used to upgrade to the leaked 2.1 now has root in it i guess you could say

so if you are on a OS previous to the 2.1 leaked build, that is rooted now, you can upgrade to it and have root

Thank you very much for clearing that up cannon (if in fact i do have it clearly now..lol)

Matlock likes this.
  22. cannonfodder

cannonfodder Member

You've almost got it. They are actually two different animals. The leaked 2.1 is newer than the 2.1 w/root. Somehow someone got hold of the root 2.1 from somewhere. There wasn't any hacking done so far as I know as the 2.1 w/root came that way out of the box (tester build or some such sort)

Caddyman likes this.
  23. Caddyman

very interesting, thanks!

24. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

Just install it already! It was sooo easy and it WAY worth it

25. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I upograded the morning root came out. Or, rather, the morning of the day it was announced (that afternoon).

So, leaked 2.1, and no regrets so far, other than no root.