• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did you regret buying htc desire?

i gave up on phones after getting a nokia N91 and said id never waste good money again after only getting 4-5 hours from a battrie and having to cary 2 spares, so after the initial 2 weeks of getting the desire battrie up to full working capacity im quite happy with how long it lasts...

the only major problem iv had is the first desire i recived had to go back 2 weeks ago as it had the boot-looping problem, so now im unsure as to wether i should root this 1 encase i get the same problems again... i do miss tweeking and trying other roms but now virgin have released froyo i can live with it as it is.....

and yes i would love more internal memory and better internal speaker, that said i wouldent give a xxxx for any other phone out there. and thank my lucky stars that the galaxy s was out of stock when i placed my order with virgin....

im sure i will stay with htc when i come to replace the desire, and hopefully the next one will have better memory and speakers. the only thing i would really really love to change at the moment is my network :mad:

Upvote 0
No. I love my desire. By far my best phone ever. Slightly dissapointed with...

- the severe lack of internal storage.
- the quality of android apps coming from an iOS device with the app store.

Having said this, I much prefer android. And I can see that it is a much newer platform. Therefore, it's improvement is greatly dependent on people like us. I'm happy to sacrifice the above knowing that by supporting the platform these issues will continue to be and have already (desire z & desire hd for internal memory) been resolved and are continuing to improve day by day (apps). I'm confident that in the future, this will be a much much better platform than it already is. The above will be resolved and it will be as successful as iPhones.

So in this sense no, I don't have regrets.

Upvote 0
Not sure what you mean here.

1.The people widget only allows for the addition of groups and does not hold all your contacts

2.The people app is searchable by pressing the search key on the bottom right hand side (the one with the magnifying glass on it).

It seems that search functionality is one button press away.

Funny how some people forget about the function keys on the bottom. Guess people have been using iphones for too long!!

Upvote 0
Love the phone...but hated it in the beginning. This was mostly due to a faulty touch-screen which HTC nor Telus (my provider) couldn't figure out how to fix. I ended up getting a replacement and have loved it since. I think the HTC Desire Z and HD are brilliant but the Desire itself is something special.

The battery life hasn't been much of a concern although I'm a medium user but I can see how it's an issue for people who use their phones extensively.

I don't understand this topic though. The only way anyone can regret getting their phone is if the phone was underwhelming (or if they're very hard to please, or have unrealistic expectations). I'm sure you realise that this was a top device when it came out and has held its own very well over time.

Upvote 0
Initially, I was very disappointed -- to the point of being ready to swap it in for a Blackberry -- when I found that the HTC Mail app was limited to one Exchange account. But I searched around in these forums & found a link to "Vanilla" mail, which is evidently the original Droid version that HTC disabled. After trying to configure my email accounts (five plus GMail) for 3 days, I had everything running in less than 20 minutes! These forums let me keep my pretty toy!

Now to ENJOY this thing!!! No regrets except for the email misery.

Upvote 0
So is the battery really down to HTC or just how things are in the phone battery world? Maybe this time next year battery technology will have moved on and smartphones will last all day regardless of what you do with them.
Batteries running out are a fact of life, they never last as long as you want them to but until they run on air, we're stuck with having to charge things regularly.

Upvote 0
better browser experience on ip 3g :/

yes dolphin adds swipes wich are cool - but android seems to have issue with sizing pages imo - also around text boxes on pages

i suspect if i hadnt had a ip 3g would have gone for the ip4 - but as that appears the same as any other iphone - it didnt grab me

i do like the customization of the desire/android though - that was rubbish on ip

cheers
dan

Upvote 0
I've only had my unbranded unlocked Desire for a couple days now and am very happy. Cost me $485.99 and is my very first smartphone.

#1 - SLCD is very sharp and colors feel as true as my home monitor.
#2 - Easy to root. A few hours after unboxing I was running defrost (now oxygen).
#3 - Desire community is huge! My questions were answered very quickly and competently in this forum and XDA.
#4 - GPS is flawless. Spot on within a few feet every time.
#5 - Fast and snappy response.
#6 - Battery Life - Too early to tell.

Initially I had my heart set on the Galaxy S due to its super AMOLED screen, faster hummingbird processor and thinnest android form factor. After learning the Galaxy's GPS was erratic and the file system laggy, I decided to go for the phone with less impressive specs but much better quality and reliability.

Very happy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones